High nitrates?

Dmcx3xx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tank has finally cycled! I have put my axolotl in the tank the only problem causing any concern is the nitrates

I don't a 60% water change the day before I put him in the tank
70% yesterday
Nitrates have dropped to just in-between 30/40ppm

Is this a cause of concern for my axolotl. ?
Do I need to take him out and tub him?
Is there anything I can buy to drop nitrates that is safe ?

Hes showing no signs of stress

My tap water nitrates are 0ppm

Thanks xx

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210415-185418_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20210415-185418_One UI Home.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 160
It’s high but not outrageous. Get lots of fast growing plants. one that can float and do well at temps in the 60s are : anacharis, ludwigia, water sprite and hornwart.

It’s high but not outrageous. Get lots of fast growing plants. one that can float and do well at temps in the 60s are : anacharis, ludwigia, water sprite and hornwart.
Thank you ! I will search ebay and get some ordered.

It has fell a tiny bit since this photo but not to 10plm

Generally, anything below 40 ppm will be fine, but you can certainly keep it lower with the plants. Just don't panic, is all I'm saying, if it's 40bor below. 😁

Generally, anything below 40 ppm will be fine, but you can certainly keep it lower with the plants. Just don't panic, is all I'm saying, if it's 40bor below. 😁
Brilliant thank you ! I have ordered some of the plants above I done one more water change 20% now they are down to 10ppm and he looks happy and healthy in his tank

Attachments

• IMG_20210418_181054936_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210418_181054936_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
Brilliant thank you ! I have ordered some of the plants above I done one more water change 20% now they are down to 10ppm and he looks happy and healthy in his tank
As others have said, plants and water changes. You never want to add more chemicals to artificially lower waste.
Anything below 40ppm is fine. Most of the time, depending on the size of the tank, that can be achieved by just doing 30% changes weekly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back