high nitrite

Arwenelena

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, newcomer here, please don't blast me too hard. I brought home an axolotl 12/24. Had 20 gallon long tank set up with Fluval 107 and added bacteria, but didn't realize the whole cycling thing could still take weeks. The first week was OK, then when I was trying to scoop out poop it exploded and got everywhere. Tank got cloudy so I did an 80% water change and added some bacteria but I realize now I did not add nearly enough. A week ago I checked and the nitrites were high (like 2-3 ppm). I did another 50% water change, and have been adding a lot of bacteria every day. There's no ammonia, and the nitrates have gone up, but the nitrites are not coming down at all (between 3-5 on the little strip tester). Axolotl seems fine, he's eating, gills look healthy, but I'm concerned about the continued high nitrites. Some places said to keep doing water changes to get rid of the nitrites, but the guy at the pet store said not to change any more because the bacteria need to get stabilized. Do I need to take the axolotl out of the tank until the nitrites come down? And is there a quicker way to get them down (I don't really have a good set up to put him somewhere else)?

Hi! I think that you have two main options here.

Your first option would be to tub the axolotl with daily water changes while cycling the tank. Your second option would be to get live plants to help with the water parameters while the bacteria develops. If you went the route of option 2, you would want to get a decent amount of plants. In an axolotl tank, you would want duckweed, anacharis, hornwort, amazon swords, anubias, and/or java fern. The more plants the better, and you would want to do water changes every two days or so the first week or so while the plants established! The biggest thing is keeping the nitrites low

Hi! I think that you have two main options here.

Your first option would be to tub the axolotl with daily water changes while cycling the tank. Your second option would be to get live plants to help with the water parameters while the bacteria develops. If you went the route of option 2, you would want to get a decent amount of plants. In an axolotl tank, you would want duckweed, anacharis, hornwort, amazon swords, anubias, and/or java fern. The more plants the better, and you would want to do water changes every two days or so the first week or so while the plants established! The biggest thing is keeping the nitrites low
Thanks! I do have some anubias, java fern and java moss in there but not a ton. I was hoping after a week it would be improving - I don't want to tub him if not absolutely necessary, but I don't want to wait until he's sick before taking him out either. I think if it's still high tomorrow I might go ahead, though.

How did it go? I highly recommend getting some duckweed!

I tubbed him yesterday, did 50% water change and today the nitrites are starting to come down for the first time - still high around 3 I think but definitely a little lighter than the past couple days. I'll probably keep out of the tank this weekend, and it's nice a cold downstairs which should be good for him. Hopefully if it continues to improve I can get him back in there soon. I think my java moss ball is falling apart so maybe I'll take it out and see if they have any duckweed.

I tubbed him yesterday, did 50% water change and today the nitrites are starting to come down for the first time - still high around 3 I think but definitely a little lighter than the past couple days. I'll probably keep out of the tank this weekend, and it's nice a cold downstairs which should be good for him. Hopefully if it continues to improve I can get him back in there soon. I think my java moss ball is falling apart so maybe I'll take it out and see if they have any duckweed.
If the tank is not cycled, the nitrites will, unfortunately, just do the same thing again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back