Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hill stream Loaches?

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
So I recently came across a video of hill stream loaches. They are cold water fish, and stay pretty small. Could I keep a few with my lotl? They look super cool and it would be a fun addition to the tank

E. Sylvanus

Reaction score
As I understand it, hillstream loaches require a very strong current, so I would be concerned that they wouldn’t do well in a still axolotl tank. I did a bit of research on them for a high current river tank I had planned, but haven’t actually kept them, though. If anyone has had experience with them, hopefully they can give you more solid information.

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
As I understand it, hillstream loaches require a very strong current, so I would be concerned that they wouldn’t do well in a still axolotl tank. I did a bit of research on them for a high current river tank I had planned, but haven’t actually kept them, though. If anyone has had experience with them, hopefully they can give you more solid information.
Yes, I’ve seen some in mostly still tanks but, have read that more current is better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!