Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Holding Containers

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all. What do you find to be the most useful holding container for observation and picture taking? I'm trying to find something that is both crystal clear and easy to carry. Thanks!!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are looking to take photos of aquatic animals, a small glass aquarium gives the best results. However you run the risk of breaking it, particularly if you're hiking with it. Plastic always suffers from scratches so you can use it but you have to accept that the photos might not be as nice as behind glass. I've been using narrow rubbermaid containers for observation and transportation of aquatic animals (filled about 1/3 of the way). For photos I have been using a small glass aquarium (in the car) and a "critter corral" or some such from walmart when I can't carry glass.

Addition: I should add that I'm new to this so I'm not an expert on field work. I will however claim some skill and knowledge of how to get good photos so the glass versus plastic comment stands.

Last edited:

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks John. You take awesome pictures, so any imput from you is gold.

Anyone used any acrylic containers?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
The critter corral thing is acrylic I believe.

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah acrylic does scratch easily and from my experience tends to be more brittle that a standard plastic tank. I'll probably just get a critter carrier. Let me know if anyones else has any suggestions.

elemental0619

Reaction score
I use a critter carrier wrapped in a towel of rag in my backpack so it doesnt break or crack,i used it when i cought a couple of P. cinerus the other day,i might have pictures up soon.

Andy Avram

Reaction score
If you are taking pictures of terrestrial, or semi-aquatic sallies in the field than a nice log or rock works well instead of containing them. If you want underwater shots than a glass aquarium is best, but plastic works well too. But a bit of the substrate in the bottom of the container, just a small amount of water and tilt it slightly. This pushes everything to the front you want to photograph. You can get really outgoing and make a permanant bottom and then just add water.

As an example this a siren I caught in Florida and photoed in a small critter keeper. The water was only about an 1" deep and went back to about 3" when the cage was tilted. Unfortunately I don't have a picture showing the process.

IMGP0728.jpg

I plan on getting a larger tank for photographing mudpuppies, hellbenders and what not. In that case I would leave the aquarium in the car and only use it when I captured and animal within close walking distance back.

Andy

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1