Question: Holiday and axolotl

haysmith999

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Smithers
Hi all!
I’ve had an axolotl since mid Feb so a fairly new axolotl owner.
S/he is about 5 months old and about 5.5 inches long. I feed a blood worm cube every day and the occasional pellets.is this a good amount? She always seems eager to eat.
I’m going on holiday in may for 1 week, reading around they can fine for one week without feeding but not sure if she is too young to leave, I have no one nearby to pop in and feed/clean up. My other option is that I can take her to a pet shop for the week. Would this be better? Or is half hour drive and a week in a strange place more stressful? Just want to do what’s best for her :)
She is currently in a 10 gallon tank which is fully cycled (upgrading to a 3ft tank after my holiday)

Attachments

• D7D7CC37-E4C2-4C34-BD2B-3F65010C6DC3.jpg
    D7D7CC37-E4C2-4C34-BD2B-3F65010C6DC3.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 211
I've had my axolotls for a few years now and have had to leave them for a few days. I personally think it would be fine as long as there isn't another axolotl in the tank with it. You should probably just do a big water change before.

This is my practice for my 3 alpine newts, reef aquarium, 10 gallon tropical fish tank and lone betta whenever I go on vacation for a week or less:

-Feed well every day up to and on the morning of departure. But do not overfeed.
-MAYBE do a water change, but NOT within three-four days of departure. I personally think it's a bad idea to do anything drastic to your aquariums right before you leave. I'd do a water change A WEEK BEFORE I leave, maybe.
-Make sure all filters, air pumps, lights, etc. are working.
-Put lights on automatic timers several days before I leave. (They're pretty much on timers all of the time anyway.)
-Add an extra air stone in aquariums depending on the fish load, weather, etc. (For example: for cold water tanks.)
-Make sure all home heating/cooling systems are on and appropriately set for the time of year NO MATTER WHAT THE FORECAST SAYS. I made the fatal mistake of turning off my AC one summer during a weeklong vacation, and we had a freak 100+ degree day that killed my native cold water fish tank.
-Close all blinds that may allow in sunlight/extra heat.

I don't have anyone check on my tanks unless I'll be gone for more than a week. I don't know anyone who is particularly knowledgeable or interested, which makes me more worried than leaving my tanks alone for a week with my preparation.

Good luck.

Thanks for you advice guys, really helpful :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back