Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hong Kong Warty newt larvae won't eat

MarkD

Reaction score
I have tried live brine shrimp, which i can't seem to keep alive. Blackworms cut and haven't gotten any results. Is there another type of food I can use?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use daphnia to get my larvae started. There are always lots of different sizes in a daphnia colony, so bigger and smaller larvae will always get a meal. The other advantage of using daphnia is that they will survive for extended periods in the tank water until they are eventually eaten, whereas brine shrimp die quite quickly in fresh water and will cause water quality issues if not removed.
Having said that, I haven't heard of healthy larvae refusing baby brine shrimp, are you sure there isn't some other problem that's putting them off their food? Was their tank fully cycled before you put them in there? I would start with the basics and test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and just work through all the simple stuff.
This article is very good if you haven't seen it already.

Caudata Culture Articles - Why Larvae Die

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they get cold enough they'll freeze, but I've ordered them from time to time in winter and they've been fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!