Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hongkongensis eggs question

Greewok

Reaction score
I came home from work today and noticed one of my females hanging on to a piece of elodea like she was going for ride. I didn't think much of this at first since they like to hang on and around it. When I went to feed them, something caught my eye on one of the branches. It appeared to be an egg, upon further snooping around, I managed to find seven more what I think are eggs. What's throwing me off is the size of these eggs, I thought they would be larger. They look to be in the 3-4mm range or so. Also, the yoke is multicolored with 3/4 of it dark brown and the other 1/4 white. From what pictures I have found on the eggs, most peoples Hongkongensis eggs are all white? Is it possible that my female is holding on to them too long and they are a little bit more developed, or are they duds? I will try to snap a photo this weekend.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations, you have newt eggs! When they are first laid, the egg will have a dark side and a light side. After the first day or two of development, they will look more uniformly off-white, as the single egg becomes many cells.

See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/series_Phk.shtml

Greewok

Reaction score
Just a small update, the female still has been laying eggs since last Thursday. I would say there is another 30 in with the parents. I pulled 12 out originally from the tank. It's hard to get a good look at the eggs I pulled out as they are wrapped up pretty well. From what I can tell so far the eggs are starting to take on an oval shape and are becoming a solid color. Hopefully in a few days I will know for sure if they are fertile or not.

Greewok

Reaction score
They are fertile, going to pull some more from the parents tank and separate them.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations, well done.

louise

Reaction score
Great job! Your females should continue laying over the next couple of weeks.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Nice work. Make sure the water quality is kept good throughout development to prevent premature hatching.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent news, and thanks for the video. Are these newts recently acquired? If you've had them for a while, do you have any breeding tips?

Jake

Reaction score
That's great news! I loved your video, good luck raising hoards of hongkong babies;)

troutnerd

Reaction score
I walked into my study yesterday and saw my female hongkongensis laying on her side on bottom.I flipped out and thought she was dead,but when I looked closer,I could see she was locked onto to some floating weed(don't know what kind) and was doing what can only be described as a humping motion. Laying eggs!

My hongkongensis apparently laid eggs sometime last winter as well..but I only found out when I discovered two tiny juves in the tank. They didn't survive, sadly, but I'm hoping I'll have better luck this time. I too could barely see the eggs and was surprised they were so small. I see about a dozen so far. The female is huge,at least 6 inches,and she must be loaded with eggs.She seems to be most actively laying at night.

I've done nothing out of the ordinary,but did do a massive water change/filter cleaning last week, which may have helped. The male has been in spawning condition for a month and was being very aggressive towards her. He is not aggressive most of the year.

I'll attach a pic of the big girl I took today.

GE

Attachments

• Supertanker hongkongensis feb 2009.jpg
    Supertanker hongkongensis feb 2009.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 436

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations, Gord! That's wonderful news.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
fantastic! I remeber a few years ago, on this site, when breeding this species was pretty much unheard of. Well done!

troutnerd

Reaction score
The egg laying continues.She's having trouble with cabomba..but is trying like heck! Looks like a couple dozen eggs.Fingers crossed.

Greewok

Reaction score
Update...

I found 3 or 4 of them last night floating at the surface. Looking closely at them, their gills have shrunk a lot. I added a few branches and bigger pieces of wood breaking the surface before going to bed. When I woke this morning, they were out of the water crawling around, much to my surprise!

Now the fun begins :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!