Hood recommendations

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello! I’m looking into buying a lid for my axolotl tank. It’s a 20 gal long, and I’m looking for a good with a built in fan system and possibly a light. The light is optional, but I really want a hood with a preferably 3 or more fan system. Thanks!

For salamander tanks I like a screened reptile type tank top and a beamsworks led light. Small size fans blowing over the top of a tank are a little better than some of the cpu fans made for aquariums. For most of my axolotl tanks I use no top at all. Some just have a fan sitting next to them blowing over them.

I have never seen a good hood for an axolotl tank as you need high ventilation or it traps the heat in

I use egg crate and then my other pieces around the tank
For salamander tanks I like a screened reptile type tank top and a beamsworks led light. Small size fans blowing over the top of a tank are a little better than some of the cpu fans made for aquariums. For most of my axolotl tanks I use no top at all. Some just have a fan sitting next to them blowing over them.
Okay, I figured there wasn’t much out there in the form of hoods. I’ve never seen any jumping behavior from my little girl, but if I do I will get a lid right away. Do you know where u can get egg crate? I’d assume I can use craft mesh as well?

Egg crate is a light panel or suspended ceilings. I buy mine at Home depot and cut to size

craft mest works for small openings but its flimsy

Hello! I’m looking into buying a lid for my axolotl tank. It’s a 20 gal long, and I’m looking for a good with a built in fan system and possibly a light. The light is optional, but I really want a hood with a preferably 3 or more fan system. Thanks!
I made a screen myself, and glued some small adhesive hooks to the sides of the tank to hold the screen.
This way I can cool the water, place the lights, AND I don't get any surprises AKA axolotl crawling on the floor.

I guess an image is better than words:
IMG_20201103_112844.jpg

Egg crate is a light panel or suspended ceilings. I buy mine at Home depot and cut to size

craft mest works for small openings but its flimsy
So, summer is fighting back where I live and have noticed the temperatures getting too toasty for an axlotl. I'm still in the cycling process, but I have already ran to the hardware store and was able to make 2 eggcrate lids out of one sheet. It fits perfectly on top, my only complaint is eggcrate sheet only comes in one color :D ...maybe another project. Thanks for the suggestions!

i'll post pics up later. I'm trying to find any DIY project while waiting to cycle :D

Eggcrate hoods are also super customizable. I was able to cut segments off to make room for my filter tubing and thermometer tubing. As for cooling I have this cheap fan and it has cooled down the temperature -0.4 degrees in 45 minutes. I think I'll be good for the summertime!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back