Hoping for eggs for Christmas

That is a beautiful crest he got there.

There are no adult marmoratus females in my tank, do you think that will influence the growth of the crests on my marmoratuses?

Sorry to disappoint you boys, but it is a subadult male marmoratus from Spanish or Portugese origin. Pygmaeus has a different crest. And marmoratus from Iberian penninsula can have light bellies with little white spots (a lot of white spots is more normal in pygmaeus). Especially form Spain and Portugal many marmoratus were exported over the years,so if you are not sure what you have 90% it is marmoratus.

I see. When I saw the second picture I thought the crest looked like a marmoratus one - in the first pic the crest look more like a pygmaeus one right?

That's just typical, a mamoratus with a pygmaeus-like belly - great
dizzy.gif

Are there any other characteristics for the pygmaeus crest besides being lower?

Do pygmaeus crossbreed with marmoratus??
What is your opinion Sergé - Are they subspecies or different species?

In Spain there seems to be a clear border between them, but in Portugal I don't know. I never wanted to crossbreed them, what's the use of corss breds if you can breed them pure? In captivity they will certainly cross breed, as crested newts do also with marmoratus.
To my opinion they are clearly species. There are some more characteristics beside the crest but I have to look that up...

Great
happy.gif
what are you gonna feed them as soon as they finished their... uhm...stuff thats in their belly?

congratulations! I can almost see your male marm smoking a cigarette.
hat.gif

The baby cristatus are getting big. Time to seperate the herd.
11860.jpg

11861.jpg

Yes, looks like we have a hat trick. The newest baby pics. The first is the cristatus (they're getting big), the second is marmmortus (developing nicely), and the final member of the trilogy, newly hatched montodoni. I know the montodoni have been breed in Europe many times, but has anyone done it in North America? If so, send me an e-mail so I get get some advice on raising extremely small larvae. With the exception of the attempt at blasii, it's been a good season so far.
12436.jpg

12437.jpg

12438.jpg

Good show, David!
biggrin.gif
And nice pics too! I'm looking forward to the day when my marbleds grow up and start pumping 'em out !

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back