Question: How do I introduce two young axolotls?

vivabaz00ka

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Samana
Hi there. I'm a new axolotl owner and I'm looking for advice on introducing young axolotls into the same living space. I currently have two axies living in one 10g tank, seperated with a tank divider.I am beginning to understand why this isn't a large enough space... they are almost 3inches long already, I never imagined that they would grow so fast! I would really like to move them into the 20g tank I have already set up, but I cant seem to find a consistent answer on how soon they can be let loose together. I will buy a larger divider if I must. I was also considering moving one into the 20g, and opening up the full 10g for the other for the time being... would that cause the axie in the 20g to become territorial? Any opinions will be appreciated!

You can just put them both in the 20 gallon. Most likely they'll get along just fine since there's plenty of space for them to get away from each other if one decides to get nippy. But just in case it is ofcourse good to keep an eye on them and separate them if necessary.

Make sure there are plenty of hides in the 20 gallon tank and see how they go together. Feed them at separate ends of the tank at feeding times to avoid any chance of nipping and keep a close eye on them to make sure there is no bullying.

i personally felt safer by starting my axies in a 20 gallon with a divider in the middle. After a month just today i let them together and they seem fine. The biggest reason for nipping can be hunger so make sure that their tummies are always full. hiding spots as mentioned by others. watch them closely. have a divider ready to go in case something goes wrong.

Thank you for your opinions! I havent put them together just yet, but I'll be doing it soon and I'm greatful for the help :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back