Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How do you remove the poop?

How do you remove the waste?

• Siphoning

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Chopsticks

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Turkey Baster

Votes: 134 55.6%
  • Hand-picked

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • You don't

Votes: 16 6.6%
  • Other methods.

Votes: 16 6.6%

• Total voters
So that they won't break into pieces, that the water goes murky and my axies think it's some sort of Christmas in their tank (but brown)

lol. Yea I'm finding the turkey baster to be quite useful and we have plenty here in Toronto at the dollarstore. I think it could be arranged to get some shipped to other areas if theres a high enough demand. It might even be cheaper than online shipments. Let me know! Would be glad to help. :)

I use a combination of the siphoning and the turkey baster. I do siphoning and this also helps suck up water so that I can do their water changes. Then I do turkey baster for the leftovers that the siphoning didn't take out. :D.

Kaysie! You may be onto something! I wouldn't know if there is high enough demand here in Australia. I like my siphoning method if only because it makes me do little water changes over the week rather than swapping out 30L at the end.

I guess just to prove how little turkey basters are required here. If I look locally in ebay and type turkey baster it autocorrects me claiming what I really desire is a turkey buster which is a hunting vest. I wonder if I'm removing poop wrong and I need to be gearing up black ops style to hunt down the elusive tank poop.

In Aus turkey basters come from a kitchen store or ebay. But you'l probably get less weird looks from ebay.

Yes I had to try more than four stores in Australia before i found a turkey baster for 6 dollars in a great kitchen/cook shop. In one shop where i bought a fridge thermometer I told them I needed it to monitor the temp in the fridge for my axolotl. I don't think they were used to that sort of thing judging by the facial expression on the shop assistant. I wonder if she thought about reporting me to RSCPA for bizarre things, I also explained why I was looking for a turkey baster and the shop assistant thought that that was a logical use for a turkey baster.

I Don't have a turkey baster, I use a syringe with a peice of foot long pipe on the end, its quick, easy and weirdly fun, poo just gets sucked straight up the pipe, Axle often thinks the pipe is a worm and often chases it around the tank, and like a turkey baster its briliant for squirting water in hard to get places to clean / find poop:crazy:

Turkey Baster! One for waste disposal and another to catch runaway worms during mealtime.

This might be a silly question but im new to this axie keeping thing! Mine doesnt seem to poop very often. Is this normal?

I siphon it out when i find it!

x

I use a glass turkey baster (bought at a kitchen shop for about $6.00) or a long piece of plastic tubing & siphon.

I couldn't find a turkey baster. . .so I use an icing syringe, which is like a mini siphon and works fairly well for cleaning up old food and their waste.

I rarely had the chance to see the poo in my aquarium because it disolves in about 12 hours and then I can see all those tiny green beans that I can only imagine that are great for the plants. These little green beans also disolve in a few hours. So I dont syphon poo unless I see it there the next day too. The only thing I do syphon is the unatean food like bloodworms which get stuck between the leaves of the plants and rot. If you have a cycled aquarium, and a good filter, I think the axie poo is actually a very good nutrient for plants. I also like the look of it, big like a pill and it disolves into thousands of tiny green fertilizing stiks. Sounds eco to me.

I accidentally stepped on my turkey baster and it cracked halfway up! It's a disaster because it doesn't siphon well now and I've been using this ghetto turkey baster for a month! It's the most tragic thing thing that's ever happened to me.

I need to buy a new one.

I use a turkey baster (bought in a $2 shop in Vic, Australia) during the week and on the weekend I do a quick vacuum of the tank floor and a water change. Mine enjoy snapping at anything that moves in their tank, apart from each other luckily! I'm hopeless at using chopsticks as it is, let alone in water while trying to pick up axie poop.

Old axie water and fish water is the BEST plant food. My neighbors take turns having me pour my water from my tanks when I change them !! I've not had to buy plant fertilizer in years.

Thanks to this forum, I use a turkey baster as well. Possibly the best $3 I've ever spent.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Its funny how something as gross as poo can get so many replies lol.. omg did u pay 20 for a turkey baster?? I got mine at the dollar store and it works so well!! I use it to pick poop up, picking up the bloodworm mess from my juvies and much more sooo handy!! Oh and when the poop does get to big to fit through the baster end, I will burn it a bit that way it will make the hole bigger ;)

Mbeh, turkey basters are pretty hard to find over here. (Stupid potato eating people... lol)

I know that feel, bro. ;)

Anyways, I recently bought a Gravel Vacuumer, and a pump. But I returned the pump, but the Vacuumer is doing great! You don't need an AirPump, you can just blow air into the vacuumer. It does a great job! I just vacuum my whole tank, instead of only the gravel! :D

I have been using a small aquarium net to scoop out the poop that I can see, but I happen to be going to a dollar store today so if I see a turkey baster I might pick a couple up (one for my Kreacher and one for the Axolotl at the store I work at) :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2