Question: How many axolotls can fit in a 20 gallon high tank?

dmuradian

Reaction score
Country
United States
Setting up my first axolotl tank it's a 20 gallon high and was wondering if it is possible to keep 2 axolotls in it once they are full grown.

How long and wide is the tank? I don't think height and total volume are as important as width and length. I currently have two in a ~55 gallon tank (it's about 2 feet tall, 1.5 ft wide, and 3 ft long) and my two axolotls live comfortably in that.

I would say only one in that tank

Mel

I would also agree. You can sometimes get away with two full grown in a 20gallon LONG but not a 20gallon high. But you are pushing it. I have two in a 25gallon tank right now(31" long by 17" wide) but it will not be their permanent home. I will be getting a 5foot tank for my 4axolotls once I get the money

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back