Question: How many brineshrimp/daphnia..

hayleymason

Reaction score
Country
England
How many brineshrimp or daphnia will one hatchling eat in one feeding? Ive pipetted a few in each tub but they dont seem too interested..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

If yours only hatched yesterday, then they're most likely still digesting their egg yolk.

daphnia will not hurt the young as they also live in fresh water. BBs on the other hand will die off and need to be removed once they stop moving

How many brineshrimp or daphnia will one hatchling eat in one feeding? Ive pipetted a few in each tub but they dont seem too interested..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

As esn said , they are still using their egg sack, they will start feeding within 48hours , I generally load a newly hatched tank with daphnia (adults and babies) so they can feed when they want, the other responder mentioned bbs foul the water dont chuck them in till they are all hatched so you can do the required water changes, you dont want to messabout with the hatching tank till they have all hatched.

As you asked for numbers, once they have run out of yolk they get through about 20-30 brine shrimp of great lake strain a daily feeding session each! - Yes I counted them.

I know this is kind of an old thread but what is the best daphnia to feed them?

Daphnia plutex are tiny and stay tiny, great for babies!

I like daphnia pulex as well. Magna are a little big, and moina are a little small. Pulex are just right!

It seems though that the daphnia magna are the easiest to go, would the babies produced by the adults be small enough for baby axolotls

yes they are, i keep a stocking density of about 300-500 daphnia/gallon of larva water.

Got my last batch off to a booming start!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back