How many earthworms? Puking Axolotl

natjobe

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello!
Just got my first 3 axolotls last week. I ordered pellets with them but they are floating pellets and I don't really like them, so I decided to switch them to earthworms.

I fed my larger one 2 and a half worms, my two smaller ones 1 and 1 and a half worms yesterday. All worms I cut in half so they were approx. an inch long, maybe a little longer some shorter. The smallest of them puked up his worms from yesterday when I tried to feed them today.

I have river rock in my tank, no aquarium pebbles. Temp is around 17-18. Nitrate spiked first couple days I had them but it is getting in control now. I did cycle the tank before I put them in. Ammonia is 0. P.H is low around 6-6.5, I tested the water they came from and their ph was even lower almost 5.5. Good ol' Vancouver water! Lighting is low.

So my questions are:
1. Size of worms to be fed and how much/often?
2. Should I worry about the puking?
3. If i ever need to move an axolotl or take them out of the tank, what is the safest method?
Thanks!!!

I know my other axolotl keeping friends feed their 9-12 inch axolotls one earthworm every other day. Mine tend to snap, so I feed them each one half of an earthworm every day. They refuse anymore food than that, but most axolotls will just keep eating, from what I've heard. I don't know about the puking, but it would be safe to fridge them and see, to get their digestive track moving. I don't think it would be necessary. It seems to me that you're just overfeeding. As long as the axolotl gets it out of his system it should be fine.

As for moving, I move mine into a rather large tupperware container (6 liters, 12 inches long). I can never catch them with anything else, so I have to briefly handle them. I grab them with my hands and support their whole body, then quickly switch them to water of the same temperature. They're pretty hardy, and I've never had problems moving mine.

I feed mine all different size worms, tiny little ones, to one about 2 inches long, sometimes they only eat 2 or 3 other days they may eat 6 each!!! Only one seems to eat the pellets, but sinking ones, and they both love bloodworms.

I have three 12 in (or thereabouts) axies and I feed them 2 large worms each a week (when I say large I mean about 4-6ins long). I don't cut these - they will happily wrestle with them until they have swallowed them. I then sometimes give them the odd sinking pellet in between times or smaller worms.

I have had a few instances where worms have been puked up - but I have generally just cleared them out of the tank and kept similar feeding regime - never had continued puking by any of mine (which obviously would be a worry).

I also use plastic containers to move the axies - generally just put the container in the tank and gently 'persuade' the axy to go in there and then put the lid on. I have tried netting but that looks far too stressful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back