How many here have a chiller for their Axies?

lotlman

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all,
I recently purchased a chiller to keep water temperatures in my Axie tank below 70 degrees F.
I am curious how many of you are using a chiller, or some other means to keep your water at a temperature the Axies will like? Anyone?

I keep a window air conditioner on in the room when the temperature outside is too high for them. It cost much less that the aquarium chillers I've seen advertised.

The chiller was rather expensive. To the tune of $500.00CAD, and it also needed a pump to circulate the water. I have been running an air conditioner in the room with the Axies until I got the chiller, but it certainly was not practical. That room also has 4 other tanks with various types of tropical fish, so while the air conditioning was cooling, these tanks had their heaters running. To complicate matters further, the room also houses a Hedgehog cage. These little guys had to be relocated until the chiller got here. Even in winter, the room will be over 70 Deg., so a chiller seemed like the best option.

I'm going to need one in summer, so i have been looking around on Ebay for one and depending on your tank size they range from $500.aus to $200.aus from memory. I think that a chiller is the most simple idea because to run my air con all day would be a killer for the power bill:p

My critters have their own room. Most of the time, it doesn't get too hot. But I have the AC set to kick on just in that room when the temp gets to 75F. Then it's not running all the time, just when it's hot.

Luckily, right now, they're in a basement.

I have a chiller for my axies. It's set at 17 degrees celcius. Don't know how much that is in fahrenheit..
It was about €200, but worth every cent. It's a bit noisy, but the temp is stable.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back