Question: How Many Tylototriton Verrucosus "Dark" in a 29 Gallon tank

Gameynerd23

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I just got my very first newt, one tylototriton verrucosus and it is currently in a 20 gallon long with about 20% land and 80% water. My question is, could I house two of these newts in a 29 gallon tank with roughly that same 20/80 split? Or would that be too tall for them? Should I just stick to the one in the 20 gallon?

Tylototriton verrucosus (actually T. shanorum most of the time) is usually raised as a fully aquatic species.
Where is your newt spending most of its time ?

Tylototriton verrucosus (actually T. shanorum most of the time) is usually raised as a fully aquatic species.
Where is your newt spending most of its time ?
To be honest, it's only been a few hours since it arrived. But, it's about 9 m9nths old and has been raised fully aquatic for its whole life. Switching to a fully aquatic set up isn't a big deal since I also keep fish, so I know about water quality and such. I have some guppy grass and some pretty tall wood pieces, so getting a bit of air shouldn't be too much issue. If I switched to a fully aquatic 29 gallon set up, could I keep two newts? Or could two live comfortably in a 20 gallon long, since height isn't quite as important as floor space.

Yes, 20 gallon is fine for 2 newts, not less.
Ideal depth : the length of the newt.
If you get another newt, be sure both are about the same size, otherwise there could be some dominance conflicts for food

Yes, 20 gallon is fine for 2 newts, not less.
Ideal depth : the length of the newt.
If you get another newt, be sure both are about the same size, otherwise there could be some dominance conflicts for food
I would be getting it from the same breeder, so they should be about the same age and size. I have the 20 gallon long on an industrial shelf, so I couldn't really do a larger footprint, but the dimensions of the tank is 30 L x 12 H x 12 D. From what I've read, these newts get a max of about 7 inches, so having the water level down about an inch to help prevent escape will be good. The platforms I have in the tank now are floating turtle docks, but I also have some mesh reptile hammocks that I could submerge, but I may just stick to wood and floaters/ guppy grass for that extra footing.

I think I'll just fill up that 20 Long and let that one newt thrive on its own. I don't want any chance of aggression at all and that 20 gallon should give the one plenty of space without being too deep.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back