Question: How much light is to much

Shivermetim

New member
Joined
Jun 17, 2014
Messages
112
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Texas
Country
United States
Do I just want to turn on the lights for pictures or have hiding places ....
 

Attachments

  • 20140623_181332.jpg
    20140623_181332.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 309
  • 20140623_181435.jpg
    20140623_181435.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 300
And can/dose the blue light hurt there eyes

It seems to bother some more than others. Some will startle a bit when it's first turned on, but this is something that happen with regular lighting. Most will get used to it being on, but it's best keep the blue light on only for a short time while viewing them in the evening, or showing the Gfp novelty to your friends.
Gfp and albino axies seem to be more sensitive to light in general, and especially the blue and of course the black lights. The UV in blue and black lights can be stressful and damaging to axolotls (especially GFP), with prolonged exposure.
 
Do I just want to turn on the lights for pictures or have hiding places ....

If you have no real plants in the tank, I would say to leave the regular white lights off unless you are viewing them. And yes, caves/hides are so important! :cool:
 
Thank y'all for the response
I will use the blue only for special occasions but the regular light if I only turn on for pictures and friends will they scatter or is this something u deal with and work around for their comfort
 
I had duckweed covering the whole top of the tank with bright light with out any signs of stress from any of my axolotls. They had plenty to hide in but still stood around. The only one to actually get closest to the light was Odin but that one has one eye and is dumb even for an axolotl. I'll be trying water hyacinth in their new tanks as cover.

Edit: I have gfps and non gfps and one albino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ok thank you for the response
I'll get some floating plants and keep a close eye on them to see if they are comfortable with the light
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top