How much of a size difference is too great to keep newtpoles together?

NewtsAtTen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I'm not sure what I haven't mentioned since my last post by now, but the long and short of it is that I found two mystery newtpoles in some plants I bought online and raised them for a bit. One died, but I then found another, so I'm back up to two now in a bizarre twist. I'm pretty sure it's just these two now, as it's been a couple of weeks and I've seen no others.

Whatever disease/problem killed the first (Smoothie) doesn't seem to have been a problem for these other two (Shake and Soda). Both are very healthy and happy and eating just fine. I'd been separating them in the tank in a small feeding basket so I could keep tabs on them and make sure they were feeding right, but the basket tipped over several days ago and both disappeared into the tank overnight. Today I managed to find Shake, after finding Soda a couple of days before, so I can monitor them again. I have their patterns memorised, so I can tell they're the same ones from before using a microscope.

The issue now is that, where's they were roughly the same size before, Shake is now about 14mm and Soda is still around 11mm. I know that if there's too big a size difference, they can start trying to kill each other.

I don't have much of a solution other than letting them have free roam of the tank and hoping the decent amount of vegetation is enough for them to hide in if there IS too much of a size difference unless maybe, I put one into a net and keep the other in the basket, but I was basically wondering if 11mm and 14mm was too much of a size difference to have them together anyway.

They don't seem to have any interest in attacking each other so far, which is good, but I haven't been able to observe them for a while either, so I can't be sure.

TLDR: Is a newtpole 11/14ths the size of the other too small to be kept with the other?

Attachments

• IMG_20200802_192304.jpg
    IMG_20200802_192304.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 130
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back