Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much should i feed my axolotl?

axolotl141

Reaction score
i feed smokey a worm each day and maybe one or two sinking pellets is this to much? and could you tell me how much i shoul feed her

coral2reef

Reaction score
I feed mine roughly once every 3 days - and it's fairly chubby! ... However I don't use pellets - does yours eat it all? I always prepare too much food and end up throwing the rest away (or giving to my tropical fish) as it's so time consuming getting it all ready - I just go by the rule that the stomach should be about the same as its head. Mine makes it pretty obvious if it's hungry too

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
I feed my axi every 2-3 days. Normally she has about 4-6 small earthworms (you can buy them at your LFS normally... a large tub lasts me around a month). Or on the rare occasion bloodworms (but they are SOOOOOO messy).

But then again my girl is a piggy (my family teases her for being fat!!!) but I never overfeed her.

Anyways yours will soon come up with a way of letting you know when its hungry... mine begs for food when she's hungry.

mewsie

Reaction score
It really depends on the size of the worm, how active and how old your axie is.

Ours each have one big worm (about 3/4 of the axies length when the worm stretches out) every other day, but they would eat every 5 minutes if I'd let them! We have to be able to resist their unblinking pretty little eyes and control their diet for them, fun as feeding time is.

If you look down on your axie from above, her tummy should be as wide as her head. This should help you keep tabs on whether you are feeding the right amount :)

Vilya

Reaction score
Sorry to ask this question on your threat but I also have a similar question. I have two axies about 3.5 inches long. I feed them 4-6 next pellets a day and sometime a few blood worms on top of that. Is that too much? They always seem hungry whenever I go by and still want more to eat after that. So am I overfeeding?

axolotl141

Reaction score
well it is at least 4 months old and it seems pretty activebut some time it will walk some where and stay there for a bit and then walk some where else and it also swims abit like some times to get some where and also to gulp for some air.

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
well it is at least 4 months old and it seems pretty activebut some time it will walk some where and stay there for a bit and then walk some where else and it also swims abit like some times to get some where and also to gulp for some air.
If its belly isn't bigger than its head then your not overfeeding... but I think its better to have a slightly plump axi rather than a skinny one

Plus at that age your axi is still growing so good nutrition is important

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Sorry to ask this question on your threat but I also have a similar question. I have two axies about 3.5 inches long. I feed them 4-6 next pellets a day and sometime a few blood worms on top of that. Is that too much? They always seem hungry whenever I go by and still want more to eat after that. So am I overfeeding?
As I said belly to head ratio is the best measure of overfeeding... but newt pellets aren't the best diet for you axi's... earthworms are better

axolotl141

Reaction score
there actually axi pellets it says on the label axoltl foodand a pic of a cartoon axi i bought it from the local fish shop

beverleyx

Reaction score
I have 2 x 10" adult axis , I dig up fresh worms and that Is solely what the eat , I try to feed them every 3 days as it takes the 3 days to process the food through their system , HOWEVER having said that they both beg when they see me , they both stand up on back legs and "float" , :smile: I have been known to feed them smaller worms daily :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1