Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much space for each red-spotted?

L

lauren

how much space does each adult need right now i have 2 in a ten gallon filled to within an inch of teh top. with a zoomed turtle dock as a land area. a bunch of anacharis and a submersable filter.

and one more newt is in 12x8 ish critter keeper with some anacharis a rock and couple inches of water, i had to seperate her becuase she wasnt getting any food.

do the 2 in the ten gallon have enough space?
how big a tank to a need to keep my skinny girl separate from them?

K

karen

Two to a 10 gallon tank is fine, I've even kept 3 to that size tank. If you add the third newt back and find she isn't getting food, perhaps you can use a divider in a 20 gallon tank.

L

lauren

what would be the minimum for one newt, I think I would like to keep the thin one seperate becuase the other 2 apear to be male and i dont want them stressing her out.
I have a 5 and a 20 gallon the five seems to small and teh 20 to big so im guessing I'll have to go to walmart and pickup a new ten gal

J

jennifer

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to keep a single Notophthalmus in a 5-gallon tank long-term. If it has at least 3 gallons of water and you are conscientious about partial water changes, it would be fine. Of course, a 10-gallon would be even better.

A

alex

In general, there is a minimum, or rather a starting point, for any newt, or amphibian for that matter. For Notos, I figure minimum of a 5 gallon tank with 2.5 gallons for each additional animal. The more water space the better though, because it keeps down ammonia and other harmful chemicals. Good luck, Alex.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!