How much to feed a Fire belly

A

alex

I want to feed my two chinese fire bellies frozen blood worms. My question is how much should i feed the two of them and how often should they be feed that amount. All comments appreciated, Thank you

My fire belly newt eats until he is full. You do not need to worry about overfeeding. But i found that about 1/3 of a cube of bloodworms is ample to feed a single CO. I feed him approx. 2-3 times a week. The best way to learn would be to feed him more that he requires and let him/her dictate how much he/she wants. Remember to Unthaw the bloodworms on a paper towel and feed him the worms only(as the juices foul the aquarium) Another more versatile food is Live Blackworms. These are much more nutritious and easier to manage in the tank. Watch out! they can escape from the feeding dish and establish a healthy population in your tank. But if you don't really care then you can let your newts hunt them down themselves.

My guess is that 2 CFB could together eat between 1/2 and 1 bloodworm cube. As Richard says, just let them eat until full. One detail he didn't mention... be sure to clean up all uneaten bloodworms after feeding, or your water quality will go bad. If the tank has gravel, you may need to set up a feeding dish/area that is reasonably easy to clean up.

Do you suggest feeding in a dish that is submerged in deep water or shallow water??? or on land with water in the dish??

My CO like to go up on to the land portion which happens to be a floating styrofoam turtle dock. I dug a half inch little pool for him and filled it with water. whenever i feel that he needs some food and he is up there, i full up the pool and drop the bloodworms in there. Nice and clean. When hes done and returns to the water, then you can take the dock out and rise it under the tap. works for me.

Rich

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back