How much to feed- skinny axolotl

notaphrodite

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anybody clarify for me please how much my axolotl should be eating??

I feed him freeze-dried brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, and am trying to get him an appetite for a good carnivore pellet. I thought he was growing well but a recent forum response tells me he is VERY skinny. I feed him as much as he will eat twice a day.. can anybody give me a better idea of the quantity he should be eating?? He is about 4 inches long, i'm not sure his exact age, but approx. 6 months.

Any advice helps, please.. he is my first axolotl and I want nothing more than the best life for him!!:confused:

Kitan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
First, you are being a wonderful new owner. You clearly love this little guy a lot and asking for help is fantastic ? So let's work on that diet and get him beefed up!

Freeze dried anything is going to be bad. Freeze drying actually damages the nutritional value of what you are giving them not to mention its likely to make a mess while they eat it, since it breaks up so readily. Please make sure you are keeping an eye on your ammonia since both things you are feeding can cause a spike if you aren't very careful.

While good pellets are fine, getting 'lotl's to actually eat them usually requires light starvation as they don't "appear" to be good to the amphebian brain. Given that he's skinny, it maaay work. The BEST choice by far is Canadian nightcrawlers. You can get these at your local fish store (lfs) or a bait shop, though the former is highly preferable as you can be gaurenteed there are no unsafe additives. If you do go with bait, please do not get the colored ones (ie green).

notaphrodite

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you SO much!! I had been staying away from the larger worms because I thought he was too small! When feeding them I know that they will need to be cut up to the right size for him to swallow, but overall how much should he be getting a day- nightcrawler wise??

Kitan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You're welcome :)

So you can expect him to eat anywhere from a half to 3/4 of a worm a day. When I first got mine, she was about 5.5" and that is how much she would eat, but I had to cut the worm up into like 8 pieces. You are looking for pieces no bigger than the width of their head to begin with and if it is too long they will try and try to get it down before just getting fed up and spitting it out. They will also spit them out when their tummy is too full to fit any more. Once I got the sizing down pat, I would feed until she started spitting a piece out. I would try one more time with the same piece and if she refuses or spits it out again, I know she is done. at 6-6.5" she is now taking a whole worm daily, cut into 4 pieces.

So, tf do you do with all the rest of the worm, right? What I do is put the remainder in a small container with a small amount of water and fridge; if the worm is moving the next day, it is fed. If it is dead, it is tossed :)

Also, get yourself a pair of long tongs to make feeding easier and keep a piece of paper towel handy. Tongs will make it so you dont drop pieces as often\they are easier to retrieve and the paper towel is because the worm will produce a LOT of slime once cut as a defensive mechanism, so you might need to wipe the pieced off before feeding them so you dont drop them :grin: I keep the worm that is about to be fed in cold water in dish, cut it in half to start and then just work at one piece until it is finished being eaten before moving on to the next half. Also USE SCISSORS. Clean snips. Try not to be too concerned about them suffering; worms have a very simple nerve system and, as such, just register damage as opposed to pain, apparently.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Roadrunner:
    My axolotl can you all take a look at that thread, I am freaked out about my axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    His gills seem kinda small, I don't think that's normal but I'm not a huge expert on axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    Yeah his gills is kinda small and it can be caused by nitrate level, I am taking care of it atm, I am worried about his weight, is he only overfed or are there any kinds of problems there ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Well, again, I'm no expert. But I did just read axolotls are supposed to have a body about as wide as their head. The gills I'd say are the biggest problem, which could reduce oxygen intake, which could make a whole mess of problems.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    Thanks for the help then, I will deal with his gills in no time
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Bri the axolotl mom has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Bri the axolotl mom has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • nerdybirds73:
    Any one have advice on feeding a tubbed axolotl?
    +1
    Unlike
  • nerdybirds73:
    mine hasent eaten in weeks and im not sure what to do
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hello, I am a new owner of a 3 month old axolotl, and although I have done a lot of research on axolotls, I can barely find any for babies. If anyone can help me with these questions, I would be super happy. How many hours do baby axolotls tend to sleep per day? How many times should I feed it and what would be considered too much (it's current diet is freeze-dried brine shrimp and blood worms, and I currently feed it around 3 bloodworms since they are not that big)? How many times a week should I change the water and how? I have a good filter and use Prime as my conditioner to remove the chlorine and other chemicals, but I still need to figure out how to deal with ammonia and such in the water. How do I clean it's waste (should I use a dropper to easily pick it up)? I need a better cooling system because currently I use ice packs on the side of the tank and I make sure to angle my ac so that it hits the tank.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    I also leave the lid open during the day so that evaporation can cool down my tank. I want to buy a fan, but since winter is coming I won't have to buy one yet. Lastly, what water testers are effective and affordable for a broke student like myself? Please, if anyone has any advice I will love to hear it. I care for this creature too much at this point, but I have no one to help me with caring for it other than the internet :,)
    +1
    Unlike
  • EmilyP:
    Hi LauraLobster I am a new owner of axolotls myself and have been getting advice from things like this, I feed mine twice a day on blackworms and brine shrimp blood worms are more of a treat food, a question on where you are keeping you axolotl are you keeping it in the main tank or in a tub also if in the tank did you cycle it first? and if not i suggest tubing it until the tank it cycled, mine are still tubed since I was given bad advice by the shop people about cycling my tank and am still in the process of cycling it. I use pipettes to clean up the mess of my axolotls. I use the API mater test kit for freshwater tanks I am also a student and had to look around to find it the cheapest I could.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi LauraLobster, like you I got my first ever Axolotl back in July. Iv found that he has enjoyed and eaten red wigglers well. They are a good source of protein and help provide the nutrients a young lotl needs to grow up big and strong. You will probably need to break it up into smaller pieces until they get bigger but they are what I have primarily fed my buddy since I got him. He’s actually so picky that he won’t even eat his pellets anymore and will hold out till he gets his favorite wormy.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Readysalted:
    Hi I would like to know how you treat nea
    +1
    Unlike
  • Readysalted:
    Hi I would like to know how you treat newt inflamtion I've got one and recently it's started to develop an inflammation on its throat can someone please tell me how you treat this I've also checked if he had something stuck but I didn't se anything
    +1
    Unlike
  • Cjbond:
    Anyone have any Notophthalmus viridescens for purchase to a loving home?
    +2
    Unlike
  • Grantsky:
    Hi, I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this as I am new to the site, b
    +1
    Unlike
  • ltoloxa-:
    Hey, can anyone recommend a good fan/cooler in UK?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nycolebayne:
    I’ve got proven female axolotls available if anyone is interested.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey, does anyone know if shale is ok for long-toed salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    As long as its cleaned yeah! You can even make overhangs if you have enough pieces to make nice caves and platforms
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    My pleasure! River rocks work well too, and go rather well with all kinda lung less salamanders,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinky:
    So everywhere talks about testing your water parameters but I can't find what to do it there aren't right?! Like too low not too high, anybody any ideas?
    +1
    Unlike
    Tinky: So everywhere talks about testing your water parameters but I can't find what to do it there... +1