Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How Nutritious are Blackworms for Axies?

The Banana

Reaction score
Just curious.. how stable are blackworms for an axies diet?
Should/could they be regularly? I'm thinking I might start to culture them.. but I wouldn't want to do this if they aren't the best meal for them/or just a treat.

Thanks.. oh and I read this on the wonderful Caudata Culture. :D
Live Black Worms (Lumbriculus variegatus) Rating Excellent Advantages Nutritious
Readily accepted by smaller, aquatic caudates
Will not transform into insects Disadvantages Not for larger or terrestrial caudates Varieties N.A. Availability
Some pet stores (USA and Australia)
Not commonly available in Europe
In bulk by mail/Internet

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Blackworms are as nutritious as earthworms, but they're nigh on impossible to culture.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Blackworms are a bit small for an adult axie. You'd do better to find a source of earthworms.

The nutritional measures I've seen have rated blackworms rather poor in terms of calcium-to-phosphorus ratio. But then again, I know of many salamander larvae raised exclusively on blackworms and they've done well.

The Banana

Reaction score
Thank you for your comment Kaysie. That is great to hear about their nutritional value, but culturing could prove difficult then.

Thanks for your input Jennewt (haha.. just got your username.. nice). I'm looking for a sorce of earthworms since I seem to have used them all up in the garden. I have some younger axies, along with TONS of fish - so I think it may be OK. Hmmm... thanks again. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1