How old is my axie?

LitolAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know how to determine age in axolotls? I have a 10" male wild type who is a retired test subject from a biology lab. There was a mix-up when the lab workers were sorting the animals for adoption, and he was put in the wrong tank. I only know he's male and the name of the lab where he was studied. I don't even know if he's a carrier for the gene they were studying. Is it possible to tell how old he is?

No real way to tell if he's an adult. But he must be over a year at that size.
Old axies >5 years sometimes look a bit lumpy in the face, but thats about the best you can guess from.

When you say "lumpy", do you mean that the skin has bumps or that his head isn't uniformly shaped? Because he has lots and lots of skin bumps. The tips of his toes are dark and he has fairly noticeable testes.

Update: I got in touch with the intern who looked after my baby before I got him (he's a cool guy, actually), and showed him pictures of Xol. He couldn't remember with absolute certainty which specimen Xol had been, but he narrowed it down to two. Both had been there longer than he had, so at minimum he is 2 years old. However, the guy remembered those two specimen as "the old ones", so he might be quite a bit older. At minimum he was already mostly grown when the intern started working there 2 years ago. So my current estimate for his age is 3 years.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back