How should I move with my tanks?

arienette

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Andrea
Hello,

I'm going to be moving into a new apartment soon (tomorrow) and I need to know how to transport my two newt tanks. I'm only moving across town, maybe 4 miles away at the most, so I'm not worried about the newts themselves...I just don't want to disrupt my cycled tank when I move everything. Will I have to start over (more or less) with cycling? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Andrea

If you keep your filters and decorations moist, as well as substrate (I just keep a tiny bit of water in the tank), you shouldn't have a problem. I suggest picking up a couple of 5 gallon buckets with lids, and put tank water, plus your decorations and filter media in them. Then when you get to the new place, pour the water and put the decorations back in, and you should have no problem with re cycling.

Put a lid on the buckets, as the water will slosh surprisingly high!

The least traumatic way to transport the newts themselves would be in a tupperware container with damp paper towels. This is less stressful than sloshing around in water (and among decorations, etc). If there is any chance of exposure to heat, even for a short period, keep them in a cooler with cold packs during the move.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back