how should I transport my newts?

Shawn_532

Reaction score
Country
United States
I happen to be moving very soon and I cannot figure out how to safely transport my three newts,I have thought about draining the tank to 1/4 of its normal water and just taking them in that, would that be safe?

How far is the drive, and are the newts fully aquatic?

When I had to transport large cold water fish a 3 hour distance, we would have a painters bucket in the back seat with a lid loosely on filled about half way, and we would attach an airstone to a car adapter and plug it in to the charging port. Then I’d just keep the ac on to try to remain within the proper temperature. I’ve also transported aquascaped tanks short distances by removing the fish and putting it in a tupperwear similar to what they come in at the pet shop, draining 3/4ths the water and covering the top of the aquarium with plastic cling wrap to keep the plants alive.

How far is the drive, and are the newts fully aquatic?

When I had to transport large cold water fish a 3 hour distance, we would have a painters bucket in the back seat with a lid loosely on filled about half way, and we would attach an airstone to a car adapter and plug it in to the charging port. Then I’d just keep the ac on to try to remain within the proper temperature. I’ve also transported aquascaped tanks short distances by removing the fish and putting it in a tupperwear similar to what they come in at the pet shop, draining 3/4ths the water and covering the top of the aquarium with plastic cling wrap to keep the plants alive.
they are fully aquatic, this will help though thank you!

Unless you have axolotls, your newts can surely stand a few hours on land? I shipped a few newts. Amphibians use very little oxygen, I read that there's even a type of toad(?) that can survive for days without oxygen at all.

So for transport I'd fill a little plastix box with wet kitchen towels, then on top moss*/java moss/other plants, then stuff the newts in there. Don't forget air holes (with the sharp edges pointing outwards, not inwards), and put that into a styrofoam box for a constant temperature. Fill it with crumbled up newspapers to prevent shaking. A little(!) air hole in the styrofoam is optional. And you should be good to go.

*probably a good idea not to use wild moss anymore due to that whole bsal thing

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • gemmie:
    Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in Australia
    +2
    Unlike
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +2
    Back