Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to divide tank?

Sonny

Reaction score
I've been getting mixed signals on how to seperate male and female axies. I just want a clear answer to make sure they stay safe.

A bit of context is I have a male and female axie who haven't attempted to mate at all, the male attacked the female and now I wish to seperate them.

Can I just use a standard tank separator (with small holes) to keep them apart and prevent cannibalism and mating? Or so I need to completely seal off the two?

AnimeDan

Reaction score
A tank divider will be sufficient so long as you get one that’s large enough that it comes above the water and reaches the bottom of the tank. I had the same thing happen with my axies where the male bit the hand off of the female. I got a tank divider that was a bit too small and at first the female dug her way through the sand substrate, underneath the barrier and went and visited the other side, and then when I lowered it they just jumped over it on the top. So as long as you get one large enough then you’ll be fine. I suggest one that is a bit too large as you can cut it down to make it fit perfectly if need

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1