Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to keep axolotl tank cold?

Covey

Reaction score
Hello guys. I am asking for ways how to keep my axolotls tank cool aside from the method i use. I use ice bottles and switch them out twice a day (they are very large bottles, maybe a foot and 8 inches), and they last for all day long. Im currently talking to a guy who Is making a chiller for me and is almost done. Once i have the chiller, what do i do in a brownout (when electricity goes out)? Aside from ice bottles, i doubt 25+ large ice bottles could cool a 75 gallon tank. Currently Ponyo is in a 20 gallon and has cooling fans and ice bottles and it works just fine. Temperature sometimes spikes to 21 celsius but only for a few hours at most. What are other cooling methods you guys can reccomend? Also my large tank has 17 inches of water so i doubt that cooling fans would have any effect at all.

Reaction score
Hello guys. I am asking for ways how to keep my axolotls tank cool aside from the method i use. I use ice bottles and switch them out twice a day (they are very large bottles, maybe a foot and 8 inches), and they last for all day long. Im currently talking to a guy who Is making a chiller for me and is almost done. Once i have the chiller, what do i do in a brownout (when electricity goes out)? Aside from ice bottles, i doubt 25+ large ice bottles could cool a 75 gallon tank. Currently Ponyo is in a 20 gallon and has cooling fans and ice bottles and it works just fine. Temperature sometimes spikes to 21 celsius but only for a few hours at most. What are other cooling methods you guys can reccomend? Also my large tank has 17 inches of water so i doubt that cooling fans would have any effect at all.
Cooling fans work on large tanks as well as heat rises and it will consistently cool the top (warmest) water. For larger tanks, I had a 75 gallon I used a desk fan and other kept it 2-3 degrees cooler when on.

As for what to do during a power outage, the ice bottles is really the only thing you can do during those times as everything else will require electricity.

wolfen

Reaction score
once you have a chiller fitted and the 75 gallon running have it set to 15°c/59°f, then if there is a brownout it will take time for the ambient temperature to warm it to dangerous levels.
using insulation on the sides and back will leave only the front (and water surface if there isn't a lid) exposed to the room which will slow the warming up even further.
ice bottles will be useless as you will still need to be able to freeze them, so unless you are prepared to pack out the freezer with bottles you will soon run out.
if it is common to have brownouts then it might also be a idea to get a battery powered air pump as over a long period of time the tanks water can start to become depleted of oxygen.
fans can still be of use in cooling even the biggest of tanks as the air movement across the surface causes evaporation which in turn cools the water down. always have the fans blowing along the surface of the water not at it.

Covey

Reaction score
once you have a chiller fitted and the 75 gallon running have it set to 15°c/59°f, then if there is a brownout it will take time for the ambient temperature to warm it to dangerous levels.
using insulation on the sides and back will leave only the front (and water surface if there isn't a lid) exposed to the room which will slow the warming up even further.
ice bottles will be useless as you will still need to be able to freeze them, so unless you are prepared to pack out the freezer with bottles you will soon run out.
if it is common to have brownouts then it might also be a idea to get a battery powered air pump as over a long period of time the tanks water can start to become depleted of oxygen.
fans can still be of use in cooling even the biggest of tanks as the air movement across the surface causes evaporation which in turn cools the water down. always have the fans blowing along the surface of the water not at it.
Good advice! I also have 30 frozen ice bottles in my freezer incase of emergency. Usually brownouts have never lasted more than a day, at most a little more than half a day. Also brownouts usually occur maybe 3-6 times a year, so i don't really worry about it. I also have never heard of a battery powered air pump, but i will try to find one :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!