Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to keep tank water crystal clear?

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
My tank water pretty clear, it’s easy to see the back and such. I over filtrate, with a aquaclear 20 and a sponge filter for 55 gallons. I use Seachem purigen in my aquaclear. My parameters are perfect, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 10 nitrate. I use prime as my water conditioner. I keep all my filters clean, I just cleaned my sponge filter 2 days ago, and my aquaclear maybe 3 weeks ago. I have a 20GL tank that houses one axolotl, and might house some white clouds and shrimp in the near future. I have Carib sea extra fine sand as my substrate. Any idea what it is that’s making my water kind of cloudy? It’s still super clear I just feel like it could be clearer

Murk

Reaction score
Hmmm, I think that will be difficult to tell.
"Kind of cloudy"? Would it be visible on a picture?

Could be bacteria. Could also be the "extra fine sand", depending on how fine "extra fine" is.
Are you sure it's the water, and not just the glass of the tank? :p

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
It could be from the sand. Purigen is good for removing and trapping organics. Sintered glass biomedia and or sponge might be better than the Purigen for establishing beneficial bacteria. Don't clean the sponge filter to often. Be sure it is rinsed in aquarium water or dechlorinated tap water. Try backing off on your food a little if possible. It sounds like the tank just is not balanced. If it doesn't clear up in a month thing about getting rid of the sand.

BrickCorvidae

Reaction score
I second the use of Purigen. I alway keep one on hand for when the tank is looking less than clear.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
That sounds super odd. My girl's tank was only cloudy when I added her new sand and it lasted only a day. All I use is a sponge filter, up to 75 gallon use strength. What do you have in your tank? Like, besides axolotl, like do you have plants, fake or real, drift wood, etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1