Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to manage tank while tubbing for fungus??

lexabear

Reaction score
Hello, new member here!. I'm not new to aquariums, but new to this problem! šŸ™ƒ

I've been keeping three axolotls in a well-cycled 40 gallon breeder. I conduct regular water quality checks with my API Master Test kit, weekly 30% water changes, pH is 7-8, I use Prime as my water conditioner, etc. I keep temps 65-67 degrees. I recently discovered a small patch of fungus on the gills of 2 of my 3 axolotls. I believe the fungus came about from my boyfriend sneakily bumping up the thermostat to the low 70's at times when I haven't been home (I work 2 jobs). I caught on and sat him down to let him know how absolutely serious it is that the axolotls stay below 70 degrees at ALL TIMES. Not long after I caught him messing with the thermostat is when I noticed a small patch of fungus on the gills of 2 of my 3 axies.

All three are currently tubbed with air stones, IAL, daily 100% water changes, and daily black tea baths. Because I caught the fungus early and the patches are so small, I'm hoping to kick it without salt baths by keeping them tubbed and doing daily tea baths for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, my main question is what to do about my cycled tank?! Do I have to nuke it?! šŸ˜­ I already removed the decorations and washed them in a bleach solution and rinsed them exceedingly well in boiling hot water.

What do I do with the plants? Would dipping them in a dilute bleach solution safely kill off any fungus? I have Bacopa caroliniana, anubias barteri, anacharis elodea, java fern, water wisteria, hornwort, marimo moss balls. Can I clean the sand effectively or should I just go buy a new bag? ($fancy black sand$). WHAT ABOUT MY FILTER MEDIA FULL OF BENEFICIAL BACTERIA? šŸ˜± I use a customized baffled HOB with sponges, floss, and SeaChem Matrix. Do I have to ditch it all and start a new cycle? I'm not too worried about my critters making a good recovery, but so lost about the tank! I'm also paranoid about using any filter media from either of my aquatic frog tanks for fear of exposure to chytrid, should any of them be asymptomatic carriers šŸ˜­

Please help!

Last edited:

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Leave your tank alone!!

The fungus has nothing to do with decor plants etc - its temp waste and lack of salts.

Add the waste tub water daily as it has "food" for your beneficial bacteria.

I would look into holtfreters or johns solution as an every day preventative. They contain the natural "salts" axolotls need to prevent anemia and "fungus". There is information on the axolotl.org site linked to Caudata.org or search the forums I have talked alot about them.

I switched to johns in all my tanks approx 6 months ago and even in heat wave increases to 20 degrees I have zero fungus or stress issues.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!