How to newt-proof a filter

kay

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
The Newtiest Girl
Hi guys! So yesterday I found one of my Strauchii in the internal filter in the tank. The type of filter is internal waterfall type. The ones used generally in turtle setups. I had placed the sponge in a way I thought if the newts decided to go into the filter, they would basically just sit on top of the sponge. I was wrong, he had crawled under and got trapped. I got him out, and now he's quarantine to make sure everything is ok.

So my question, clearly I was mistaken, so I'm wondering, any ideas on how to cap off the top? Im thinking of cutting up an aquarium fish net and sowing it around the top; this will enable me to still take the net off to clean the filter.

What do you think?

Hi guys! So yesterday I found one of my Strauchii in the internal filter in the tank. The type of filter is internal waterfall type. The ones used generally in turtle setups. I had placed the sponge in a way I thought if the newts decided to go into the filter, they would basically just sit on top of the sponge. I was wrong, he had crawled under and got trapped. I got him out, and now he's quarantine to make sure everything is ok.

So my question, clearly I was mistaken, so I'm wondering, any ideas on how to cap off the top? Im thinking of cutting up an aquarium fish net and sowing it around the top; this will enable me to still take the net off to clean the filter.

What do you think?

A piece of plastic needle point grid is ideal as it can easily be cut to custom shapes and is washable.

That had never even occurred to me. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try and buy some ASAP.

Sim building an aio today specifically gluong parts togrther today i will post my solution as a puc a bit laterent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back