How To Setup A Tiger Salamander For Brumation?

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Caudata.org,

My Eastern Tiger Salamander turned three this year and has barely just made it past 10 inches! Clearly an adult.

I haven't had to brumate him since he had still been a juvenile, always active and never really resting. He has calmed down a little, still exploring his enclosure just later at night. I have observed a loss in appetite and lack of movement from him, I relate this to the 65-70 degrees (Fahrenheit) in my household. I drew this conclusion first from his feeding behavior, he used to gulp up a nightcrawler extremely fast, but in the past month and a half, he has started losing interest in tong fed food and preferred to hunt on his own. (I did this by holding the worm in the forceps and then letting it sit checking every five minutes to release the worm for him to finish it.) I needed to do this twice than he didn't take the worms, even after a hunt. I got a pair of waxworms for his birthday and some superworms to try and get him to eat. He took one waxworm instantly, and a superworm follow up after refusing the second waxworm. After that, he refused all the rest of the food. I tried a few of my isopods even though the culture was just starting, he took the two I offered in an instant. this all happened in mid to late-August, where my house started to cool down, now in September it has been routinely under 70 degrees. (Fahrenheit, again.) The most recent feeding he didn't take the worm but put up quite a hunt and snapped at it a few times. I gave him two superworms, he ate both.

So, I assume this is all signs of brumation, how do I go about helping him proceed in this process and care for him during brumation? Do you feel concerns about an issue or problem not related to brumation when reading, what is It, and what actions could I possibly take?

Thank you, JaceW/

Attachments

• IMG_2946.jpeg
    IMG_2946.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 438
Update...
With my house being extremely cooler than normal, usually requiring a sweatshirt. He has decided to retreat to a hollowed cavern beneath his water dish. I've decided to move my hygrometer and thermometer closer to him, not the entire tank so I can control the humidity in that spot the best possible and know the temperature around him. I have moved all the decor in his tank to near the water bowl in the hope it will keep humidity better. I have a small gap between the water dish and substrate against the glass allowing me to see inside al view him. I covered the tank with a cloth to block light and once again keep humidity. It is his first year doing this and I still have questions, but I am feeling better about it now!

1. Is it one feasible and two worth it to move him to a smaller enclosure or a Ziploc container for brumation. Is this even in any way worth it?

2. is a chilling process of sorts required to help him successfully brumated? I'm new to this and there isn't much information out there.

3.not related to brumation. Would a stream feature be appreciated by most tigers or is a pond better?

I’m afraid I don’t know about the brumation aspect (I had my tiger salamander when I was living in a basement during college, and the temperature never changed enough to trigger it), but from what research I did when I got him, they prefer slow moving pools and shorelines rather than the current of a stream. I kept mine in a tank with a narrow pool along the front of the tank to replicate a shoreline.

However, I think it’s important to know your own salamander’s habits before putting in a water feature. I helped care for a tiger sal at the zoo in my hometown, and it would retain water if it was allowed to soak in a pool. Even with just the water dish, we ended up having to take him to the vet periodically to drain some of the water off. My little guy never had that sort of problem, but he also seldom spent time in his pool.

That is kinda what I was planning, but, I have an ExoTerra with make that difficult to view nicely. I was gonna panning to have a medium sized pool in the front to mid section and have a small waterfall of slate and a small pool at the top. Pardon the blob of a sketch.

Attachments

• 1ABE64FE-FB9C-4F93-9A46-50437A57E9BA.jpeg
    1ABE64FE-FB9C-4F93-9A46-50437A57E9BA.jpeg
    542.3 KB · Views: 190
  • E95E4FE7-945C-4A73-B1FD-E85A0CDB1ECD.jpeg
    E95E4FE7-945C-4A73-B1FD-E85A0CDB1ECD.jpeg
    472.1 KB · Views: 170
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back