Question: How to Stop Mold from Growing?

pehudson12

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Paul
Hey guys! I recently got a Marbled Salamander named Brad (I've had him for about a month), and so far he is doing great! I am having some problems, though, with mold growing in the tank -- there seems to be kind of a white dust on some of the moss, and there is a lot on top of a little log hideout that I bought from PetSmart. Does anyone know why it's growing and/or how I could fix it? Thanks!!

Sounds like too much moisture/not enough ventilation. Can you post a pic of the setup?

Yes, thank you! The pictures should be attached -- I have a 10 gallon tank with a bottom layer of rocky substrate that's filled with water. Then there's a few inches of coconut fiber on top with moss spread around the tank. I just moved him into basement yesterday, because I was hoping that the cool air would prevent any mold! The mold's very small -- I just noticed it the other day -- but if you can see some of the white patches on the log, that's what I'm worried about. Thanks so much!!

Attachments

• Brad Setup.jpg
    Brad Setup.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 510
  • Brad Setup 2.jpg
    Brad Setup 2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 285
Hi Paul, I agree with Linus it sounds like too much moisture. I have had my salamander for over a year, I use the coconut fiber and have a dish with water that he can get in and soak and maybe once a week I spray the tank. He seems to do great in the set up.

Ok thanks! Yea, I've been spraying the tank once or twice a day -- I'll definitely spray less and see of that helps prevent mold. Thanks again!

Ok thanks! Yea, I've been spraying the tank once or twice a day -- I'll definitely spray less and see of that helps prevent mold. Thanks again!

That will not prevent mold, it will just keep conditions such that more will not form.

In this case a complete tear down and replacement of the substrate is the only way to get rid of it.

THEN, less spraying will help prevent it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back