How to tell if sexually mature?

Sylerwin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought my first axolotl from a pet expo in February. He was around 3-4 inches long then. The guy didn't seem like answering my questions and just wanted the money so I have no information on how old he is. He's around 6.5 inches now.
I recently bought 2 juveniles from a very well informed owner who tried breeding for the first time, and the two I got from her were born in this last October, so I know how old they are. They were around 2 inches when I got them late March, but they've already caught up to my other guy in size--much quicker to grow than my first axie.

I read somewhere that you can tell that they're mature when the tips of the toes start to darken, but of course, the one I'm curious about is black in color. :rolleyes:

Is there a way to tell if an axie is mature when they are darker?
Thanks. :happy:

Dark ones get white toes :) and they seem to change colour more when they've stopped growing rather than the sexual maturity. If you're hoping to breed them though I hear you should wait until they are about a year and a half :)

Definatly toe colouring, mine is 6 and 1/2" and is 8 motnhs old, but i think he grew slow haha :D
My others are 5 and 1/2" and are around 6 months old.

Oh and as a reference I'm guessing mine were between 9-11 months when they stopped growing (all between 23-26cm long now!) and all have coloured toes :)

Toe tips are not an accurate representation of sexual maturity.

Really, the only way to tell for sure is when you see eggs/spermatophores. Most will reach sexual maturity within a year (but some will take 18 months or more!), and around 7-8 inches in length.

As far as I know.... black toe tips don't have anything to do with sexually mature axies, but it's a sign of them 'growing up'. I've seen it on young axies too and they didn't look sexually mature'ish to me.

And I agree with Kaysie.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back