Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Humboldt County Herping

lexmiller

Reaction score
I took 6 kids with me over two days. Ages ranged from 9 years old to 4 years old. All kids enjoyed view nature up close, especially since 3 of the kids were from Las Vegas.

OF course I found Ensatina, but I know I found E.e.picta and some other type. Looks to be a hybrid intergrade of E.e.oregonesis X E.e.platenus. This sepcimen fit the description in my Field Guide, but I don't know if the range is right.

I found larval D. tenebrosus every time I popped down into a stream. My kids especially like catching them. I found some that were approx. 2 inches long and ones that were approximately 5 inches long. In some cases they were co-inhabiting the same slow moving pooled section of the stream.

I have a fuzzy picture of what I believe to be larval R. variegatus. This is a possible find since there has been documented accounts in the area I found them in. I found two in the same area. They were considerably smaller than the D. tenebrosus larva.

I also found a B. attenuatus but the little 4 year old girl that whose turn it was to hold the camera did not get there quick enough to take a picture.

I had a blast teaching the kids about nature. I was also able to use my information for a BIOLOGY project about ecosystems. SO it was a win win situation.

Attachments

• DSC05965.jpg
    DSC05965.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 427
  • DSC05971.jpg
    DSC05971.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 684
  • DSC05936.jpg
    DSC05936.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,985
  • DSC05969.jpg
    DSC05969.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 595
  • DSC05978.jpg
    DSC05978.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC05981.jpg
    DSC05981.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 846
  • DSC05973.jpg
    DSC05973.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC05985.jpg
    DSC05985.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 407
Last edited by a moderator:

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Your first photo is actually a species/genus you didn't mention...Aneides vagrans.

Great finds, California salamanders are awesome.
-Tim

lexmiller

Reaction score
So they put this one back up? I am really confused now.

Anyways...

go to The Amateur Biologist for more pictures for the two day field herping event!

Also I am going back at the end of the month. Look for more field herping accounts from the pacific northwest salamander motherlode!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1