Hybrid cynops

salatriton

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hello everyone,
I have a question, the cynops ensicauda ensicauda newt and Cynops pyrrogaster can interbreed and create hybrids ?, their hibernation is equal

I'm not sure if they can hybridise, why would you want to?
C. Pyrrhogaster will hibernate during winter, but the climate where C. ensicauda are found is never cold enough, so no, their hibernation is not equal.

I'm almost certain it's possible. Even maybe seen photos of some before. There's even photos of Cynops orientalis and Cynops pyrohgastor hybrids on the internet.

I've seen pics of apparent orientalis/pyrrhogaster mix, probably in the archives on here. If I recall correctly there was some debate weather the female was H orientalis or C. p kanto. She did look like orientalis to me though.
As I understand it the Likelihood of a Cynops/Hypselotriton mix working would be greater than a combination of different races/species of true Cynops newts?
I have a lot to learn about things like this, though.

thanks for answers, my friend has a pair of sword-tail newt and a male pyrrogaster in the same tank, the eniscauda did eggs and he does not know if the children who are born are original ensicauda, I saw the little puppies and they seem original sword-tail newt, at least from the phenotype.
if I showed you the pictures, you could understand?

I'm not sure you could ever be 100% certain. Generally speaking C. ensicauda have longer tails and shorter hind toes than C. pyrrhogaster, but there's no way of knowing which parent's characteristics would be dominant if hybridisation has occurred.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back