Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hyla arborea

pollywog

Reaction score
First of all the greenhouse will have to have a hard base to stop anything burrowing out. You can do this by either laying slabs or by putting down fine galvanised mesh underneath whatever substrate you choose to use.
If you don't want to use turf I would recommend top soil and moss as a substrate, you can get a plant from your local garden centre called "none of your business" that is a very good hardy ground covering fern / moss.

mike

Reaction score
The plant "mind your own business" is from the Genus Soleirolia.
Here's a link: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54039/
The Miscanthus grasses are tall and spectacular, and a Fatsia japonica, a tropical looking large leaf plant with huge glossy palmate leaves, is perfect for a shady "jungle" effect.

K

killian

Finally got round to getting my greenhouse up. I still have to put in some big plants for the Hyla. I have stocked the pond with daphnia and elodea and a few other plants to get the cycle going and hope to get some new occupants soon. I am going to introduce my Bombina veriagata next week.
35163.jpg

35164.jpg

35165.jpg

This is the hibernacula it goes underground also.

K

killian

35318.jpg

Did some planting in the greenhouse over the weekend also bought a few climbers passion flower etc to give the tree frogs some cover in the top part of the house.

W

william

it looks good, you could try a water lily in the pond area... you could also try this plant called russian vine, it grows really quickly for the summer and then dies back for the winter...

K

killian

Thanks for the suggestions William, the pond is fairly shallow so really rules out water liilies. I have passion flower in there which is very nice and should do well in the greenhouse. It too grows quite quickly.

I will post more pictures as it matures.

W

william

you can get the dwarf varities that are breed specially for water butts. also you could try agapanthus for an exotic summer talking piece

A

adam

I keep and breed H. arborea in a greenhouse, i like New Zealand Flax, Vitis vinifera and Ficus benjamina (eurasian fig). There is also a colony of midwife toads at north anston nr, sheffield. They have persisted there for many years pretty much undisturbed. If that is of any interest to any of you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1