Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hyla versicolor hybernation!??!?!?!

J

jacob

SO I have had dear old hokibird for about 4months and just recently he has been spending more and more nights on the ground... well last week he finally disappeared underground only to resurface a few days later. He ate a cricket and then started digging new holes... the hole he is in now only comes up to his chin, so his head is exposed, there are no other animals/insects in there with him. So my question is what should i do?? How often do i mist etc.? This is my first hibernating herp and I want to do this right, hokiebird is really an awesome companion and id like to have him for a while....
-Jacob

J

jacob

well hes no longer under ground.... i think he was just dehydrated, after some water he is out and back to his old self and eating.... so my next question is how do i tell if he IS hybernating!??!?!

C

coen

I think (not sure though, please correct me if i'm wrong) they only hibernate when the temperature drops and/or the amount of light hours is reduced?

shanerules

Reaction score

unless your going to breed him i dont see a need for hibernation. if im wrong please correct me. ive had 2 and 1 hyla cinearea (green treefrog) for almost a year with no hibernation period. but if you do want him in hibernation he will sleep ALOT.!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!