Hypochlorite

Guppykeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I have a problem that maybe someone out there could help me with. The town I live in puts sodium hypochlorite in my drinking water. I dont know what will completely get rid of it> I really enjoy salamanders and fish, but without knowing more about this chemical, theres not much I can do. Any expert advice is most welcome. Thanks...

The short answer is that if it is actually sodium hypochlorite added, it can easily be neutralized with a sodium thiosulfate solution readily available in aquarium shops, sold as one brand or another of "dechlorinator". This is usually the cheapest aquarium water treatment option on the shelf, and for me it has always done the job well. If it's chloramine added to the city water (which is more common now), the usual recommendation is to double the dose of dechlorinator. It should be safe to err on the high side. It could lower the pH if you really seriously overdo it, and it adds a little sulfur. Some ammonia is released when chloramine is neutralized with sodium thiosulfate. I have never had a problem that I could trace to this. It would be most likely to be a problem in an initial setup or large water change in a high pH tank with no biological or chemical filtration that targets ammonia. Some dechlorinator type products claim to also detoxify this ammonia.

Sodium hypochlorite is your bog-standard disinfectant for drinking water, and can be removed by the usual dechlorinating agents. Personally, I use ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Sodium hypochlorite is a very simple, straight-forward chemical; it kills just about anything, but degrades on it's own over time to harmless water and sodium chloride. I use a sodium hypochlorite solution in a misting bottle when I need to sterilise tanks and equipment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back