I am a new member hi everyone.....

joncairns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everyone,

My name is Jon and I have just bought my first aoxylotl (I can never spell it right) and I have named him/her OXO. I am looking for a friend and should be getting an albino on Thursday which I will call PAXO.

I will eventually build a small colony,but need to know how many juvenile (3inch long babies) I can safely keep together.Would appreciate any advice please.

Also how old would 3inch Aoxoltyls be ?

Looking forward to chatting to you soon.

Jon ;)

Hi Jon and welcome to the addictive world of axolotls! :D

The trouble with juveniles is that, like our teens, they are exploring their new, stronger bodies, but are unaware of the havoc they can wreak. This means that in chasing anything that moves, they may grab onto and hurt a tankmate. For this reason, I find it best to give juveniles as much room as an adult will need.

In general, the rule of thumb is 18 inches of aquarium length per axolotl. Decide on the maximum aquarium size you can or want to maintain and then you know how many axolotls you can keep.

Axolotls' growth depends on various factors (genetics, feeding, even water temperature) so it is difficult to say exactly how old your axolotl is if you don't know the breeder. Your new pet could be anywhere from two to four months old, I woud estimate.

The following links may be of interest to you:
http://www.axolotl.org/housing.htm
http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm

In any case, welcome to the Forum!

-Eva

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back