I cannot figure out what type of salamander my new friend is. Any help?

Dyvshe

Reaction score
Country
United States
20210731_170707.jpg
We just got this new addition to the family. My little sister an I decided to name them Natsu. We can't tell what breed it is. At first, I was thinking marbled, but that doesn't seem right. Then I though green salamander because my mum thought it looked green. I'm colourblind, and maybe I can't see it, but it looks gray to me. We also don't know the age or gender. Any help is appreciated.

Also, if it helps; we live in SouthEast Idaho, and he was found wild. Because we live in a very dry desert area, we decided it would be best to help the little guy. The only water around is what people give livestalk. We don't even have a creek anymore. He would have dried out pretty fast.

It's a tiger salamander, Ambystoma mavortium. It likely just emerged from a cattle stock pond - you'd be surprised by how well they take advantage of these polluted 'oases' in otherwise arid landscapes. In fact the only places I've observed breeding adults and larvae is inside these stock ponds.

They do appear slightly green, but I'd say it's more of a yellow and dark grey pattern.

As mole salamanders native to semi-arid foothills and plains, this species does best in a container with a deep layer of topsoil (at least 5, but as deep as you can give them). I find that promotes their natural digging behavior. Don't be surprised if they burrow and stay under for long periods of time - this is what they do in the wild across dry periods and the winter (which encompasses most of the year in some places). Keep the soil slightly moist, but not wet. You can also add a shallow water dish, but it's not necessary.

It's a tiger salamander, Ambystoma mavortium. It likely just emerged from a cattle stock pond - you'd be surprised by how well they take advantage of these polluted 'oases' in otherwise arid landscapes. In fact the only places I've observed breeding adults and larvae is inside these stock ponds.

They do appear slightly green, but I'd say it's more of a yellow and dark grey pattern.

As mole salamanders native to semi-arid foothills and plains, this species does best in a container with a deep layer of topsoil (at least 5, but as deep as you can give them). I find that promotes their natural digging behavior. Don't be surprised if they burrow and stay under for long periods of time - this is what they do in the wild across dry periods and the winter (which encompasses most of the year in some places). Keep the soil slightly moist, but not wet. You can also add a shallow water dish, but it's not necessary.
Thank you! I would have never guessed it was a tiger salamander. I'm going to blame my colour blindness for that. I'll need to change up its tank a bit. It's mostly gravel right now, but it has some dirt and a shallow swiming area it really likes, as well as plently of places to hide in logs or rocks, ect. Thanks for the help. Means a lot.

You're welcome! I hope you find it to be a satisfying pet.

Here's a good care sheet: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander

And yeah, I always recommend the basic 'tub of dirt' style enclosure for them. Super simple and stays sanitary (as long as the soil doesn't get soggy). Things can get pretty smelly with water features. In the past I've also used a layer of gravel at the bottom (beneath the soil) to drain excess moisture.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back