I don't understand!

AmandaB

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone! Any and all helpful opinions are welcome!

I've had my axie for a few months now and this past few weeks (s)he has been acting weird. I noticed a couple weeks ago that they were floating a lot and couldn't seem to get back down. I assumed gas since they were also bloated and not eating. I then decided to give them a trip to the fridge. After carefully (my boyfriend would call it painfully) following every detail of the fridging guide posted here, I noticed they weren't eating as normally as they would but decided it was due to the slower metabolism from being so cold.I was able to feed him/her a live earthworm about three days ago, and pooped the day after that. Pickles returned to the tank last night and is still floating and seems to now have fungus on their arm pits in the front and I also noticed that one of the gills is falling off!

Levels are:

pH: 5.4
Ammonia: <0.02ppm
Nitrite: 0.1
Nitrate: <5
Temp: 16C (about 61F I think)

Please help Pickles! I love the little weirdo!

Probably because your tank is not cycled? If witch i dont recommend you are cycling your tank with axolotl in it you should be doing 25% daily water changes. I cycled my aquarium with my newts and thats what i did. I tested water daily and if i saw unsafe levels of ammonia i would to 50% water change. I would not do it again except to feeder fish or if i was trying to give something i saw at Walmart a fighting chance. You probably should have your axolotls in something you can do daily water changes in In till your tank cycles. I think there gills are pretty sensitive.

I was always told for axolotls to do weekly 25% water changes? Which I have been doing religiously. Is this not right? Should I be doing 25% daily changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want my little buddy to get better! I will be doing a 25% water change tomorrow when I get home from work for sure. Should I put him back in his small tank and try to hand feed him a worm again? I usually feed him trout pellets daily and a worm weekly as a treat (usually after the tank change so he isn't quite so upset with me barging in his home).

Non-cycled tanks need daily water changes, not weekly.

You may need to do a salt bath for the fungus. There's a sticky here for that. I've never had to do it, so I can't give you advice on that other than what's here.

I'd keep the axie separate for now and adress the fungus/tank cycling individually.

Good luck!

Non-cycled tanks need daily water changes, not weekly.

You may need to do a salt bath for the fungus. There's a sticky here for that. I've never had to do it, so I can't give you advice on that other than what's here.

I'd keep the axie separate for now and adress the fungus/tank cycling individually.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advise! So I should keep him separate while I'm cycling my tank? How long does that take?

Probably because your tank is not cycled? If witch i dont recommend you are cycling your tank with axolotl in it you should be doing 25% daily water changes. I cycled my aquarium with my newts and thats what i did. I tested water daily and if i saw unsafe levels of ammonia i would to 50% water change. I would not do it again except to feeder fish or if i was trying to give something i saw at Walmart a fighting chance. You probably should have your axolotls in something you can do daily water changes in In till your tank cycles. I think there gills are pretty sensitive.

Thanks for the advise! I'm definitely going to start daily water changes when I get off work!

It can take 6 weeks to cycle a tank. If you can get old used filter it could take a few days. On this site you can find links on cycling a aquarium. Good luck

I was always told for axolotls to do weekly 25% water changes? Which I have been doing religiously. Is this not right? Should I be doing 25% daily changes?

This is true but only after your tank is fully cycled.
It might be 15% weekly but i dont think it matters.

It can take 6 weeks to cycle a tank. If you can get old used filter it could take a few days. On this site you can find links on cycling a aquarium. Good luck

Should I have him in the fridge during this time or is he fine if I keep his water cooled and change it daily?

Cool water at an appropriate temperature and 100% daily water changes with dechlorinated water at the same temperature is fine. Try to avoid fluctuations in the temperature as this can be stressful for axolotls.

Best of luck and please keep us posted on progress.

Cool water at an appropriate temperature and 100% daily water changes with dechlorinated water at the same temperature is fine. Try to avoid fluctuations in the temperature as this can be stressful for axolotls.

Best of luck and please keep us posted on progress.

Thanks so much! I put him in his small tank last night with a frozen bottle resting on top and a towel covering him with a fan. I checked on him this morning before I left for work and the temperature maintained the same (about 16C) so I'm pleased! On my way home I'm stopping by the pet store to get a new testing kit (I only had one for nitrites and nitrates) and an air stone. Maybe he won't be as mad at me when he discovers I bought him something lol!
I also noticed my mother in law (who lives next door) has a fish tank with a cartridge filter like mine. I'm going to trade her one of my cartridges for one of hers to see if that'll help!

I just wonder how big is the tank , and what kind of filter do you use?

Uhhhh guys? My boyfriend just texted me at work and asked me how to know if he is dead.... Said he's floating on his side and is completely bright white.

Uhhhh guys? My boyfriend just texted me at work and asked me how to know if he is dead.... Said he's floating on his side and is completely bright white.

As soon as I got home to look at him I knew. RIP Pickles. My favourite little wierdo

I'm very sorry for your loss :(
Make sure your tank is very carefully cycled before putting another one in there. I would clean it very well and let it sit dry for a couple days prior to cycling to remove any bateria or fungus that may be present.

I'm very sorry for your loss :(

Make sure your tank is very carefully cycled before putting another one in there. I would clean it very well and let it sit dry for a couple days prior to cycling to remove any bateria or fungus that may be present.

Absolutely. Thanks! I actually started another thread with tank cycling questions too!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back