I forgot him in the salt bath!

angyles

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been doing salt baths to treat some gill fungus. 2tsp/ per liter, 10 minutes each. jsut bumped up to twice a day.

This morning turned hectic and I ended up forgetting about him until I was about to leave for work!! he was in for 22 minutes :-((

Everything says no more than 15 or horrible things can happen to their gillls and skin. Is there anything I can do at this point to make sure he's okay? HE looks okay, but is this like a chemical burn type thing that will take hours to come on? I'm really worried.

I can't believe I DID THAT!!! :mad:

All you can really do for now is put him in cool, fresh water and keep an eye on him.

Is 20 minutes vs. 15 really likely to create a problem?

Since you're using a milder solution (2 tsp instead of 3), and it wasn't hours, I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. Just keep an eye on him.

oh thank goodness! I was hoping that was the case. hopefully all will be well with him when I get home tonight.

good luck with your axie sure he will be fine! I also have chaos in my house with 2 kids running around and found setting an alarm a perfect reminder for me as I would never remember when time was up :happy:

I did that one time and FREAKED out, never do it again always set an alarm now. Zues survived and was fine ( I felt horrible). I used a weak solution like you did and left him there for 30mins.

well it's been several days and he seems fine. I finished the salt baths and he's back in his tank again. His gills look good! hopefully the pesky fungus will be gone for good this time....we'll see. If I do have to use salt baths again, I'll absolutely be setting a timer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back