Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I found my African Dwarf frog upside down on the bottom of my tank ):

funnyOrangekat

Reaction score
I have had bad luck with African Dwarf frogs. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
This is my third African Dwarf that has died.
There are no noticeable problems with my tank. I have tested the water, my Betta, newts, shrimp, and Cory cats in the tank are doing well, and all of the tank parameters seem to be in the right spot.
After much contemplating, I was curious that if my frog would have tried to attack my newts, could he have ingested tetradotoxin and been poisoned? I have seen him mistake the newts for food more than once but he has always been ok.
Is this viable or would there be something else going on?

Attachments

• Snapchat-945177585.jpg
    Snapchat-945177585.jpg
    943.1 KB · Views: 1,051

AuSu

Reaction score
Hi!
There might be just too much stress for them. The species you have together, want different parameters (for example warmth; bettas 24-30 celsius, cory cat nearly all subspecies 22-28 celsius, shrimps 18-28 celsius, newts under 22 - preferable 15-20 - dwarf frog 23-26 celsius degrees). Newts and frogs should live in their own tanks, because they naturally live the non-fish waters when have the possibility to choose. Newts prefer cold water, dwarf frogs warmer, they're from totally different areas. Toxins, different preferences in water softness and warmth, stress behaviour (biting etc.)...there's much one cannot see, many times just assuming "everything's ok". I hope you can do some arrangements to keep your pets happy & healthy. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!