Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I got my first sal!!!!

sde

Reaction score
Aren't carotenes only to get the orange color, I don't think it would help get a black and greenish yellow coloration lol

I think it would help. It may just make the green color come back a bit more yellow. And I don't see anything worth "lol"ing about :p

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Carotenes are almost certainly not involved at all in the yellow markings in tiger salamanders. Flavonoids might be, but then again i don't know if the yellow pigment in ambystomatids is diet dependent to some degree or entirely produced by the salamander's own physiology (it's likely not affected by diet). Just because reds and oranges are dependent on dietary intake in some newts, it doesn't mean it's the same for every caudate. In fact it's not even the case for all newts, only those within Molgini, but not the species whithin Pleurodelini, and it's also not the case for the rest of the salamandrids. Assuming it to be the case for an entirely different family is not a justified expectation.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Carotenes are almost certainly not involved at all in the yellow markings in tiger salamanders. Flavonoids might be, but then again i don't know if the yellow pigment in ambystomatids is diet dependent to some degree or entirely produced by the salamander's own physiology (it's likely not affected by diet). Just because reds and oranges are dependent on dietary intake in some newts, it doesn't mean it's the same for every caudate. In fact it's not even the case for all newts, only those within Molgini, but not the species whithin Pleurodelini, and it's also not the case for the rest of the salamandrids. Assuming it to be the case for an entirely different family is not a justified expectation.

Very interesting post, I think I've got some reading to do!

C

Cliygh and Mia

:( Well looks like there is something wrong with him... His left eye is hurt. When I was feeding him his earthworms, he kept missing so I noticed something was off, so I gave him like ten earthworms (small red wigglers btw) and even tried hand feeding him, so I called in my dad, and we took a lot of pictures of him and his eye, which may lead me to rename him.:( Anyone know how to help an eye problem?

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Could you upload the pictures of the salamander and your tank setup? Cant really help unless we see whats wrong with it.
It could have been an injury from something in the enclosure or something that hurt it in the wild, etc.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Could you upload the pictures of the salamander and your tank setup? Cant really help unless we see whats wrong with it.
It could have been an injury from something in the enclosure or something that hurt it in the wild, etc.

I have some pictures of him and his eye, and hopefully I will download them off the phone. Either way, he actually has a lot of color! Apparently in the first three pictures, the phone didn't have a good camera, and he dug so... Yeah. He has eaten a lot today. He has Eaten at least 2 but at the most 6 and three crickets we gave him, so he is reeeealllly plump.

C

Cliygh and Mia

I have the photos:(

Attachments

• 20150201_160829.jpg
    20150201_160829.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 20150201_160829_ZOOM.jpg
    20150201_160829_ZOOM.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 210
C

Cliygh and Mia

Also, since they can regenerate bodily items, would it help if we sent him ot get the eye removed, so it could regenerate?:confused:

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I am unsure about the eye though it's color is still flushed on the side, hopefully someone can help out, I would stay away from wild caught animals next time though

sde

Reaction score
Do amphibians actually regrow eyes? I have seen more than one single-eyed amphibian in the wild, so maybe they can't? I always thought it was limited to tails, limbs, and general wounds?
Anyway, Aaron is right, this is one of the reasons not to buy WC animals.
Sorry, but I don't know a cure for this.

C

Cliygh and Mia

But should we send him to a vet to get it amputated?

sde

Reaction score
It also says
Salamanders are part of the amphibian family, members of which are cold-blooded and have an additional skin covering of feathers or fur
and obviously they don't have fur or feathers xD
It also says they can regenerate hearts...uh, I don't think so. If its heart got removed it would die well before it could regenerate a new one.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you should get that poor animal to a qualified exotics vet. I doubt they'll recommend removal, but at the very least they might be able to successfuly treat it for the infection.

A caudate's regeneration habilities are not equal throughout its life. Embryos and larvae are capable of regenerating body parts that no adult could. Experiments have been done that show that it is possible for a caudate to regenerate parts of their heart, their eyes and even the brain, but that doesn't mean they can do it at any time in their life and that any adult or metamorphosed salamander is capable of such remarkable feats.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Also, could he just be blind or is it something else?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1