I GOT MY PELLETS!!

G

grant

Ok my pellets from Indiana University Axolotl Colony came in the mail today. Now what do I do with them? Do I just put them in a cabinet or in the fridge or what? If someone could let me know that would be great.

I divided mine up and vacuum sealed the excess in small bags and put them in the freezer.

The portion I kept out I put in a fish food container with a screw on cap.

I dont have a vacuum sealer so I'm just going to open one of the packages and put it in a zip lock bag. Should I put the one in the zip lock bag and the one that isn't yet opened in the fridge or freezer?

hey Grant, my pellets came a few days ago, I was so happy! I keep mine in a bag, I am going to freeze part of them. They should be ok if you just make sure the zip lock bag is sealed really tightly so no air gets in. This is what I am goign to have to do, because I can't afford a vacuum sealer right now, lol.

Yea that is what I did. I sucked all the air out with my mouth so I can be sure no air is going in lol. But I tried feeding my axie the pellets and he just spits them out!! I guess I must've spoiled him to much. Anyone else have this problem?

Grant <--his own vacuum sealer lol

Wait until they are hungry. Skip a meal or 2 then offer the pellets. It takes them a while sometimes to accept them.

Hey Grant, mine are having a having a hard time eating the pellets too, well, Grimcace is anyway. My white one will eat one at a time, but really prefers the eath worms. Mr. Nibbles my wild type will eat the pellets, but I have to drop them right in front of his face, the lazy bum, he refuses to go and find them. i am wondering how I can encourage them to hunt those darn pellets. They'll hut worms fair enough, but must not be pellet hunting season or something lol.

Yea axie will eat them if I drop them 1 at a time right in front of him so I'll do that for a while I guess. But I put a few pellets in the tank with my 9 inch loach and he ate them up real fast lol!! And I put some in a tank with a buncha ghost shrimp and they've been nibbling on em too!! So even if my lil axie doesn't eat em I still got use for them lol.

That's good, because the company sends a lot of those little pellets for a good price, it's better to feed them to other animals that love them than let them go to waist. Once in a while I will feed crickets as treats, but I have to hold the cricket down, because the darn things will float back to the surface if I don't, the Axolotls haven't quite learned how to take food from the surface yet. They love the crickets, though Grimace still is refusing to eat, the others take them happily.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back