Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

<i>H. tokyoensis</i> breeding center

TJ

Reaction score
Today I took a trip outside of Tokyo to visit a privately run breeding center for H.tokyoensis (probably the only one in existence). Nobody actually lives here, though it's quite a beautiful house. The ground floor is used for raising larvae from eggs and the upper floor to host guests and for meetings. (I plan on spending a few nights there myself in the coming months
biggrin.gif
) The water for the house and ponds is piped from a mountain stream. It was quite impressive, to say the least!

14052.jpg

14053.jpg

14054.jpg

14055.jpg

14056.jpg

M

mark

Thats amazing, i never knew anything like that existed.
Thanks for sharing Tim
happy.gif

TJ

Reaction score
The pleasure's all mine, Mark. Any excuse to get out of Tokyo! And a perfect time too as the cherry blossoms were in full bloom -- and there were plenty of them to see, This location was about 2 hours north of Tokyo by local train and car.

14063.jpg

14064.jpg

14065.jpg

14066.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
There were plenty of Japanese brown frog (Rana japonica) eggs and tadpoles to be seen in the flooded rice paddies:

14091.jpg

14092.jpg

14093.jpg

14094.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
I should add that when I said it's probably the only one in existence, I didn't mean to suggest there are not others who breed H.tokyoensis privately for captive propagation purposes -- just that there's no other dedicated center for this purpose that I'm aware of. Also, I should point out that the level of breeding technique I saw there is not so advanced and the egg sacs there were actually collected from the wild, though it's a noble effort and will hopefully improve with the passage of time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!