Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I Have Eggs!!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The toads I got the other day have laid eggs already!! I just got a couple grassy plants today for them to lay eggs on & they did. Should I remove the eggs right away & put them in a tank by themselves? I'd like to try to raise them if I can. Is there a place with info on fbt eggs & such?

Thanks!!

pollywog

Reaction score
Firstly are you sure it is eggs? A lot of people who are new to these toads find shed skin and mistake it for eggs, (sounds stupid but it happens surprisingly often).
The eggs are laid individually or in small clumps on vegetation clutches are normally quite small with 15 - 50 eggs this normally depends on the age and size of the female.
You will need to remove the eggs to a well planted aquarium, they will hatch in about 4-7 days.

michael

Reaction score
Yes, they are in two small clumps on the new plants I put in. They look exactly like you describe. I'll get them out tonight, I have a nice little 2.5 gallon tank that should work perfectly to put them into.
Thanks!

michael

Reaction score
OK, next question: What do the tadpoles eat? Should I just feed them fish food flakes? Not too sure what else they would eat.

Thanks!

pollywog

Reaction score
To start with they will feed off the microbial growth in the tank, but with a new setup this will be almost absent. I started mine off with liquifry and spirulina to get a good growth going in the tank and it is important to provide a good amount of aquatic vegetation for them too.
After a week or 2 as they get older you can move onto pellets, freeze-dried bloodworm, daphnia etc.

michael

Reaction score
I hope you don't mind me asking all these questions! I've got another one now, should I put an airstone in with the eggs/tadpoles or will the plants be enough since they're so small?

pollywog

Reaction score
I normally set my tadpole tanks up with an undergravel filter and that normally does the trick, if you are not filtering the water then yes use an airstone to stop the water from going stale.

michael

Reaction score
Oops!! Turns out they were snail eggs! I've never seen snail eggs that looked like a globular mass before, the ones I'm used to are a flat bubble & fairly hard. They must've been on the plants when I got them & I just noticed them after the frog was sitting on them. Oh well, I'll put them back & wait for some real ones. I'll keep the little tank going so it's nice & ready for them.

A

alex

are they like white lines with black dots all over???, cos i jus discovered these in their dish when changing water

and the male had been fairly horny recently

pollywog

Reaction score
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Alex Ng wrote on Monday, 21 February, 2005 - 06:02 :</font>

"are they like white lines with black dots all over???,"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
That sounds like shed skin to me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!