Question: I have yet to see my larvae eat

Dax

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had 26 eggs hatch within 2 days. Today is day 2. I have offered then BBS twice a day. I haven't seen anyone interested. They, in fact run from the BBS. I leave the BBS in for about 2 hours and then remove then from the water. And I replace what I removed with spring water. I cleaned the scum from the bottom of their nurseries. I also put in floating live plants for a little privacy. I remove the plants at feeding time and put them back when we are all done feeding and cleaning. The BBS often sit very near the babies right away in front of them!! but no interest yet. Also the BBS seem to be " cleaning the axies. Is this ok?? Will the BBS hurt the hatchlings tender gills etc.?? I am worried still about them not eating..Should I try something else? Thanks for your support ;)

Keep offering - they are probably eating when you are not looking.

But hatchling axies may not eat for up to 72 hours.

Thanks again auntie Jude the BBS appear to be munching / messing very near the larvae
and gills. Will they hurt then in any way?:eek:

Mine didn't eat anything for the first few days, and even after that I never saw my little lotls eat very much. But if they're alive, and growing, you can assume that they're eating. :happy: Also, the baby brineshrimp will not harm your larvae. You'll want to have plenty of bbs right in front of them for when they finally do get their appetites.

When they start feeding on the BBS you we see them jump at them, it's quite funny to watch but it is a good sign they are eating them.

You will also start see a few pink bellies and poo !!! Both good signs as well.

Oh Boy Poo!! I can't wait LOL. But I will be glad to see it :rolleyes:. I just fed them again this morning - a couple ate, that I saw - all 26 are still alive and swimmin'. I am so relieved.
Thanks to all of you:love:. I got great advice. Words do not express my thanks! _ see you soon-I am going tho go watch my babies eat!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back