<i>Hynobius formosanus</i> and <i>Hynobius sonani</i>

M

ming-jieh

Hynobius formosanus has four toes.. and Hynobius sonani with five.. (this H. sonani is a little bit different in color)

36823.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on May 27, 2005)

the H. sonani eggs I've found in May

36826.jpg

another H. sonani in normal color..

36829.jpg

H. formosanus baby

36836.jpg

Welcome to the site, Ming-Jieh Lin! I don't recall that we've ever had a contributor from Taiwan before, so it's a real treat
biggrin.gif

Great pics too! We've had practically no pics or info here about any of the three confirmed species of Taiwanese hynobiids.

That H. sonani looks like a very gravid female! Found her in the water? Does the range overlap with that of H. formosanus? I'm assuming they're sympatric as you have them pictured together there!...

It sure must have a thrill to also find those H. sonani eggs! What was it like where you found them? I ask this because this species was first thought, based on its appearance, to be a "lentic" breeder (laying eggs on twigs and dead leaves or in deep holes in still water), but was later found to be a "lotic" breeder (laying eggs under stones in surface or underground streams). Did you indeed find the eggs in a stream under some rocks?

Have you ever seen H. arisanensis in the wild? This is also said to be a lotic breeding type of hynobiid (like H. kimurae, H. naevius, Onychodactylus japonicus, etc. among Japanese species).

Please don't hesitate to post more pics and info
wink.gif

(Message edited by TJ on May 28, 2005)

Hello, Tim, these eggs were found in the stream, but not under the rock. I don't know why.. As other research said, there must be many indiviuals breed together, but just only one I saw at that time~

Hai Jieh, happy to see you on this forum too and shed a little light on the 'other' Hynobidae from your region.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back